New to the area...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timcamera

New
Reaction score
how are ya?

I have mild epilepsy; that is to say i've had less than a dozen was diagnosed with it 20 years ago when i was a lad.
It's re-appeared recently: at christmas! it was great. good times.

I've been on Tegretol XR 400for about 10 years? And a lot of the recent seizures, the afore-mentioned one and one six mos ago have been related to low-sodium/hyponatremia. Which i think was not being helped by the sodium-sucking tegretol.

so the neuro switched me to keppra 750 twice daily. I'm in the middle of the transition now and the sched was to taper off the tegr.XR. The first few days were dicey as the neuro told me it would make me feel "loopy".

Anybody out there who has anything to share good or otherwise about Keppra? The causual internet research ice done has generally good things to say other than the ominous sounding "keppra rage".

thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Stacy has not tried Keppra, so we don't have any personal experience with it.

Your point about the Tegretol robbing the body of sodium is so important. Most AEDs deplete the body of something and it is important to offset those effects with supplements.

Hi Tim -- I was on Keppra for some time - sorry, can't remember the dosage now - and did not have any of the "rage". I don't think I had any side effect with that stuff.
(Now I'm taking 1200 mg Trileptal and 300 mg Topamax so I want to sleep all day)
Good luck with yours.

Hi Tim,
I just joined this forum.
My neurologist slowly increased Keppra to 4 tablets 3 times a day. I am also on Trileptal. I'm hoping to get off that one eventually now that I have the VNS implant. Trileptal also reduces sodium levels. Mine went so low that it caused a prolonged seizure. I haven't had any side effects with Keppra, in fact it improved my mood and ability to think clearly. ~RG

timcamera said:
how are ya?

I have mild epilepsy; that is to say i've had less than a dozen was diagnosed with it 20 years ago when i was a lad.
It's re-appeared recently: at christmas! it was great. good times.

I've been on Tegretol XR 400for about 10 years? And a lot of the recent seizures, the afore-mentioned one and one six mos ago have been related to low-sodium/hyponatremia. Which i think was not being helped by the sodium-sucking tegretol.

so the neuro switched me to keppra 750 twice daily. I'm in the middle of the transition now and the sched was to taper off the tegr.XR. The first few days were dicey as the neuro told me it would make me feel "loopy".

Anybody out there who has anything to share good or otherwise about Keppra? The causual internet research ice done has generally good things to say other than the ominous sounding "keppra rage".

thanks,

Tim

Hi Nancy,
Topamax and I did not get along well at all. I had more seizures with it, couldn't think clearly and couldn't stay awake. It affected my ability to think clearly at work so I asked to be taken off of it. Hope it works better for you. ~RG

Nancy said:
Hi Tim -- I was on Keppra for some time - sorry, can't remember the dosage now - and did not have any of the "rage". I don't think I had any side effect with that stuff.
(Now I'm taking 1200 mg Trileptal and 300 mg Topamax so I want to sleep all day)
Good luck with yours.

RG -- I started Topamax the day it was available :shock: That was .... hmmmmmmm ... how many years ago?? I did start it too fast and crashed with weight so I had to quickly stop taking it then very slowly increase the dosage back up.
And, oh, how I wish it would help my weight now - lol - I quit smoking 16 months ago and I've gained a ton. I was a chain smoker and now I'm a chain eater.
I think it's the Trileptal that makes me so very sleepy. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom