New around here/Keppra side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AC_APT

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new around here.

I'm 18 yo, epileptic since I was 11. My first seizure was a grand mal at the beach that gave my parents and older brother a big scare.

The focus is on my left parietal lob, where I had surgery 3 times ( at 3 , 5 and 8 yo) for arteriovenose malformation.

I've taken 3 diferent medications : Depakine/Depakote, Topamax and Keppra(I'm taking this one now.)

Depakine and Topamax made me have a big appetite and did not control my seizures ( I had around 5 each day petit or grand mals , most of the time at school - embarassing)

Now I'm taking Keppra 375mg/day ( 250mg/morning + 125/night), and the only problems are the side effects...

I have really bad mood swings (my mom says that some of it its from my personality =P.)

I also found that my hair falls off a lot... I'm afraid to switch medicines 'cause I've been seizure free for 5 years and don't want to risk having a seizure , for the obvious reasons + I want to get a drivers license.

I take Centrum Vitamins but it feels like it doesn't help much - I'm still easly irritable and feel like spending all day sleeping even after my at least 10 hours of good sleep, and my memory isn't good either.

Last school year I had a good schedule, had time for everything and had good padrons of sleep, and did NOT have any of those things , especially all the tiredness. And on top of that my grades got better (my memory losswas gone!).

Now I feel like I'm going back again. I'm only doing a couple of subjects at school to improve my average for college so my schedule is ... well not really a schedule yk?

Does it help having a schedule or having a right time to do things? I know the sleeping patterns are important.

I've read taking a Vitamin B complent helps... can someone tell me which on is the best? ( I'm from Portugal, I'm not sure we have all Vit.Compl. as on US)

I would like to hear your thoughts please.

---
Another questions:

How did your friends react when you told them you had Epilepsy?
Did this med gave you problems in school (ex: less momory/easy to forget
important things, lower grades...)?
If you're a women and have kids, did you had to change medications (from
levetiracetam to another one - I heard this med is not good for the baby . it
passes through the milk) ?

--

Thank you for your answers in advance.[/LEFT][/LEFT]

Keppra seems to make me dopey and tired a lot, but other than that i don't really get any side effects.

I've been having mood swings and insomnia lately though. I'm not sure if thats down to the Keppra or not. I doubt it since i've been on it for months now, probably more down to stress.

Apparently vitamin B6 can help with the dreaded "Kepprage"

Hi AC APT:hello:

Sorry I don't have many answers for you. I just wanted to welcome you to CWE! Things are a little slow because many of the people here are from the U.S.(though there are also lots of people from Europe, Canada, and Australia), and we had a big holiday here in the States on Thursday (Thanksgiving) which made it a very long weekend. And weekends are usually less active here at CWE than weekdays.

I'm also on Keppra and have had pretty good luck with it though it makes me sleepy. I think you may be right about having a schedule. I didn't feel as tired earlier this year when I had regular doctor's appointments, chemotherapy treatments, and physical therapy. It seems like I should have been more tired dealing with all of that, but I think it gave me more structure in my life as well as something to focus on which seems to have been helpful.

Only you know what you feel up to doing, and you certainly wouldn't want to take classes if you don't have the energy, but maybe joining a study group or something similar might help you decide if more activity and structure in your life is helpful or not.

I've also tried multi-vitamins that contain 100% of the recommended dose of B6 and B12; it seems to have helped a little.

Anyway, keep checking in with us. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people here, and I'm sure you'll get more answers.

Again, welcome! I don't think there's anyone else here from Portugal:) But we're getting more and more international. Yay!:)

I am also on Keppra. I have been on it for 5 months now. I have only had one grand Mal and one Complex Partial seizure sense i have been on it. The problem is I get aggitated very easy and when i get mad I lose controll. I am a little scared because I feel out of controll. Other days things are just fine and then i lose it over something small. I have never had this before I started taking the meds. My memory has always been very good and now I am forgetting what the words for things are. I forget and leave the ice cream on the counter, the laundry in the washer. It is getting worse as they up the dose. Anyone have any advice on how to handle this and what to ask the doctor? Thanks!

Hi treelo814 --

See what travel bug says above about taking a B Vitamin, with B6 and B12 -- those are supposed to help with the moodiness and "Kepprage". You might also ask your doctor about backing off of your dose a little to see if that helps with the cognitive side effects you are experiencing.

Keppra

Hi,

I've been on Keppra (generic version) for almost a year. I do get tired and a little impatient with people but I still have grand mals and complex partials but overall it seems to be working. Hang in there. (1 grand mal before it reached therapeutic levels and one after (my fault)).

Neil

Hi Im on Keppra XR. I was taking the Keppra, and just last month my dr switched me over to the XR. I take 3000mgs a day of it. Ive noticed that yes, it does make me sleepy. I do take a complex B vitamin to help with the mood swings and such. I also take a Calcium Pill to help with strengthening my bones. I am a mom of three little boys, ages 6, 5 and 4 yrs old. With all my pregnancies, i was on Keppra 3000mgs and Carbotrol 1200mgs a day. I couldnt breast feed with any of my kids, but that didnt bother me at all. All my kids came out healthy and happy. They had no birth defects. I took foilc acid during my first trimest of each pregnancy, which is very important when you have to be on medications like I am. Taking the folic acid and prenatal vitamins will help out so much.

Ive not experienced any hair loss. Ive had seizures pretty much all my life. My parents were told I had E when I was 18 months old. Since then, Ive been on medications for it. Everyone knows about my E, family and friend wise. They all accept me and have no problems.

I can answer a couple of your questions; hope this helps a little:

1) I had my first seizure (tonic clonic) at work of all places and the reactions varied from what I was told later on. Most of my co-workers were supportive and didn't treat me any differently, my manager tried to be supportive but his boss was just plain creeped out by the seizures so there wasn't much my immediate boss could do. My friends aren't bothered by the epilepsy; I wouldn't count them as "friends" if they were. There is no history of epilepsy in the family, so my family at first was shocked and concerned when my husband called them and told them I had experienced a seizure. They (and my husband) have been supportive of me. My parents and siblings were somewhat cautious/worried about me last time I visited them (first visit since dx with epilepsy), said I seemed "different" though I would say that would be the side effects of the drugs.

Keppra gave me slight trouble with short-term memory, though not nearly as bad as Lamictal XR does. The main side effects I have with Keppra are constant tiredness, dry mouth, mild joint pain, increased cramping/heavier periods, and thinning hair.

I can't really answer the one about having kids, since I didn't develop epilepsy until this year and already have an 11-year old daughter and am DONE having kids. If you are planning on having children and breastfeeding, check with your doctor about medications, because some of them have been linked to birth defects.

Welcome to CWE. You said you are on Keppra now & have been seizure-free for 5 years. Have you been on Keppra for the last 5 years? If so, have you been having the side effects all this time? Keppra is well known for affecting the personality, especially causing what is called Keppra rage. I developed that reaction within a couple of doses. I tried enduring it for 3 weeks before my pharmacist told me that the personality changes do not go away & my doctor said I could not tolerate it & took me off of it. Keppra can also cause depression & a number of other problems.

As for the drivers license, if you have been seizure free for 5 years, I see no reason you shouldn't be able to get one. I've heard of the restriction being anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. You have been 5 years. I'd say go get it.

As far as the memory problems, they can be from the med or from seizure damage. It is something you should discuss with your doctor. Meds affect everyone differently. If you have been fighting anger, irritability, etc. that you did not have before, it would definately be good to talk to your doctor about it. I understand your reluctance in changing meds when it seems to keep the seizures at bay, but if what you are taking is causing bad side effects, you may need to change.

You have to remember, all of us on the forum can give you our experiences or suggestions, but you also need to speak with your doctor about your concerns. So, talk with him/her & let us know how things go.

Shelia

thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I've made a journal for the last few months and from what I've learned I really believe that having a schedule for things really helps. My memory lost disappeared (almost completely).

I still take Centrum Vitamins which really helps my mood and behavior. ( and I've noticed that usually what causes my bad mood is some people traits LOL. ).

I still have some Light-headedness, but that only happens every once in a while.

The only side affect that really bugs is the hair but I can live with it.

Thanks again everyone , and hope everything is going well with you all ,as it is with me!

AC_APT

Hi AC_APT:hello:

It's good to hear from you again:) I'm so glad that things seem to be going better for you now! Hope things continue to go well.

Keep in touch:)

AC_APT,

I am so happy you are feeling better!

Yes, vitamins help! And I have a lot of respect for your ability to keep a regular schedule and have good sleep at night.

Yes, the hair is sometimes hard to take, but you seem to be doing well with it.

Lamictal! My hair has been falling out evenly, so my hair is just thinner / I have less of it all over. I don't have to do anything special, just make sure I use products in my hair to make it look thicker and to hide the now mostly bald spot in the back. Do you do anything special for yours? Special style? Hair piece?

Thanks

No actually I have no special style. My hair is straight , and it's really long now (it reaches the middle of my back), but I'm going to cut it soon because it's so thin I just can't make any cool hairstyles with it, like I used to.

I'm going to get a short cut , a few inches past my shoulders/shoulder blades, because the short cut makes it look like I have more hair.

Thanks again!

I was switched over from Carbatrol(tegretol) a year ago and it was rough, going on to Keppra taking 3 500 tablets a day.
I was a nervous wreck. Coming off the carbatrol was a nightmare. I had to take diezapam for a month just to get through it. And then I got put on Zoloft. I am also taking a Super B complex 100, Magnesium From Jigsaw vitamin company. I also take calcium and Vitamin D and I have a glass of Malbec (Argentina red wine ) at night and I am starting to feel better. I also walk 4 hours a week and do one to 2 hours of yoga a week:e:

Hey

Hey everyone.

I'm going to have my wisdom tooth (that one is a pain in the bu**. xD) removed next Saturday, and my dentist prescribed Amoxicillin (Anti.B) .

Will it interfere with Keppra? My doctor said it wont be a problem, but I would like to hear it from "experience".

Thank you.

Hi, AC,

That's a great question to ask your pharmacist - she's a great resource for information and is the one that can give you the best answer.

I did do a quick check on drugs.com and it said no interaction. But that's not a profesisonal opinion from a medical profesisonal, just a quickie reference.

If you'd like to check all your meds, here's a great website to look up drug interactions. You can type in all your meds and see if there are any conflicts:
http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

I agree with Endless - check it out on drugs.com. Something else I recommend with drugs.com is create a profile. In that profile, you list all of your meds - Rx & OTC. After all your meds are listed, it will post alerts between all your meds and between your meds & foods. You can then print out that list of warnings & discuss it with your doctor/doctors & your pharmacist. You can also print out a wallet-sized report with a list of your meds, your health issues, your allergies, etc. At the top, I also list contacts & previous surgeries. Doctors absolutely LOVE this printed wallet report - it has everything right there at their fingers. When you go to the doctor, simply give it to the nurse who will either copy everything by hand or make a photocopy, or better yet, print out a full-size report & just let the medical staff put it in your records so they don't have to copy anything. It saves a lot of time with asking questions. Simply update it each time you have a change in your meds & print a new copy. It is super! I personally have had a number of doctors say they wish all of their patients had a list like that.

Hope this helps. BTW, glad you are doing better, aside from the wisdom tooth.

Shelia

I am taking Keppra and I have been on Amoxocillin for 3 days and have to take it a week. I found out a couple days ago that I have to have a root canal:sad: I go on Monday to find out the details and the cost. :bigsmile:

Anyway I haven't noted any drug interactions myself. I am on 1500 mg of Keppra.:e:

Hi AC APT,

Few things, moods swings are common with Keppra. I for one am more snappy than before and usually take a few good breaths before I open my mouth now. You mentioned vitamins I found that taking my vitamins with Keppra affected how it worked and I had more partial seizures. My doctors suggested taking the vitimins 2-3 hours after in the morning and 2-3 hours before at night. It worked for me.

Vitamin B stress complex is good for moods

Also consider whether you are on the right dose.

Hope this helps and good luck with finding the answers

Back
Top Bottom