New - Canada, Lamictol, Tonic Clonic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lil 1

New
Reaction score
Hi.

I am from Canada (Saskatchewan).

I found this site because I am just starting the process of switching from tegratol to lamictol.

I have not had a seizure in a year and a half, but when I do they are tonic clonic.

Welcome! I also have excellent results from Lamictal. And, a very supportive affectionate dog!

Greetings from Canadas West Coast

I'm also on Tegretol but don't think I've tried Lamictal. If I have it probably didn't work or I'd still be on it.

Hope it works well for you in the meantime.

I should clarify that I am not changing because I am having trouble with the tegratol... I love the tegratol, but my OBGYN/Neurologist decided together that Lamictol would be a better way for me to go... at least for the next few years of my life.

How long do I have to be worried about getting a rash?

I should clarify that I am not changing because I am having trouble with the tegratol... I love the tegratol, but my OBGYN/Neurologist decided together that Lamictol would be a better way for me to go... at least for the next few years of my life.

How long do I have to be worried about getting a rash?

Hopefully your obgyn/neuro are right. Keep track of how your seizures are & whether or not you're doing better.

Hi Lil1! Welcome to CWE. Like you, I have tonic clonics...and also like you, I'm going through a med change for the sake of children. :) Just found out I'm in the family way...so they had me switch to Dilantin. Good luck!

Lamictal was the third med that my daughter tried. It didn't work. She had terrible body aches that left her motionless in bed for days. I do believe the rash will show up within the first few months. Rebecca tried another med that has a history of rash as well, and she began showing side effects such as sore throat and fever. The rash can start in moist areas of the body.

I do hope that it works for you.

Hello and good luck* My kids both on Lamictal. Its the only drug weve used so far. I think you have to watch for the rash the first 6 months. My son does well on it and my daughter just weaning onto it. From what I understand Lamictal a funny drug. Best results, taking on schedule. If your schedule erractic, that can lead to a rash as well.

I hope it works well for you
joan*

Hi Lil1! Welcome to CWE. Like you, I have tonic clonics...and also like you, I'm going through a med change for the sake of children. :) Just found out I'm in the family way...so they had me switch to Dilantin. Good luck!

Major congrats going out to you. YIPPEE:clap:

Hi ! welcome to CWE :hello: best of luck with the lamictal

Hi Lil 1, welcome to CWE.
Are you making the change in anticipation of getting pregnant (because Lamictal is supposedly the "safe" AED as far as birth defects go)? In any event, I hope you maintain good seizure control with the switch. You never know what is going to happen when you start messing with medications.

Yes. That is the only reason for the switch. The OBGYN specializes in high risk pregnancies and after a consult with the neurologist he decided that the potential consequences of tegratol on the baby were too great. I told him there was no way in h_ll I was going to take Dilantin every again. It worked for me, but I was absolutely retarded (drunk like, almost cut off my finger chopping potatoes and a complete cow to everyone)...so the neurologist is getting me to switch to lamictal. It really is nice that they are communicating with eachother. I haven't had a seizure in a year and a half so I am hoping the switch goes well. Of course I am only 4 days into it though.

Completely unrealted - started with a physical trainer... can barely walk now. It was amazing.

Completely unrealted - started with a physical trainer... can barely walk now. It was amazing.

Good stuff. When I used to work out regularly I found my seizures decreased & the ones I did have were less disruptive, not to mention I felt more alert, had better memory & more energy.

Good stuff. When I used to work out regularly I found my seizures decreased & the ones I did have were less disruptive, not to mention I felt more alert, had better memory & more energy.

Wow. Now that is a simple comment, but I am amazed and questioning everything I went through in the last 10 years. All through highschool I was incredibly involved with sports (long distance running) and I kept it up through university and all I ever had was deja vous (not knowing that was a sign of epilepsy)... until 4th year 2nd term. I decided to take an extra class and I stopped exercising completely and then started getting tonic clonic seizures (2, then 1 after I quit the dilantin without telling the doctor).... of course this could have all been a fluke and maybe it was the stress? maybe the deja vous got intense enough to start causing big tonic clonic seizures - neurologist said seizures have a snowball effect and the more you have the more you will get (your brain becomes more sensative to them).

Blah, blah blah (just unloading my random thoughts)... If anything it is more insentive to keep my butt at the gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to another Canadian member. Best of luck on your switch of meds and with whatever the next few years bring for you. Be careful during the transition.

I am a long term dilantin user and am currently looking at an adjustment as my levels are a little too high. I know all too well that feeling of being zoned out and unable to function like normal.

:cheers:

Welcome again

lamictal?

I am currently on lamictal and i didn't have any rash or experience any of the side effects explained here. I know that everyone's body responds differently though so you just have to see what works for you.

Lamictal

This is Cake, I finally got an appointment, with the doc and I was given the Lamictal and started today along with the Topamax. Due to the several episodes a day. I hope I am on my way to better days as all of ya'll. Glad to hear the good things about the Lamictal. Would love any feedback. Thanks everyone.

Like everyone else has said, Good Luck with the med change!
Personally, I tried Lamictal and I pretty much instantly started getting the rash. I took my first morning dose and my first night dose and I woke up the next morning just a little itchy, not too bad. By that night I was pretty much covered in hives from the tops of my feet to my face, neck, and ears. Just a suggestion, as soon as you notice you're itchy, call your neuro immediately! But it is different for everyone, so hopefully it works for you!

Good luck with the Lamictal. I also have T/Cs, made the switch from Tegretol to Lamictal when I started having breakthroughs. No rash here. I am moderately happy with it. And it is supposed to be a lot easier long term on your liver. Plus now I'm skinny (relatively). The way I understand it, now don't take my word for it, but Lamictal "arrests" grand mals as they start. Does anybody else know about this? This sounds weird, but I may have experienced this last week. I won't elaborate now. Also, I have heard that a buildup of Tegretol is associated with the appearance of partials. Lamictal is sort of working for me, but only sort of. I am not complaining, because that's as well as anything ever worked for me. If you don't get a rash, it's pretty cool. Rash = not an option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom