New and confused..is it epilepsy or my medication??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lujais

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im new to both the site and having epilepsy. I was diagnosed 4 months ago and put on Tegretol. Initially i had some fatigue and loss of words but over all ok. Since then Ive been experiencing daily a strange disconnected feeling like im not quite fully functional. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Is it my medication that is doing this? Or am i still having some form of my seizures.

Any information would be very much appreciated as i just dont feel normal anymore. Should you feel normal when taking medication? Or will i always feel not quite right?:ponder:

Hi Lujais and welcome!
What you are experiencing can certainly be due to the medication. Have you been to the doctor lately? You may need a simple blood test. This is the time period that one is usually done. He will need to check how your organs are dealing with the drug. Sometimes it has to be lowered or increased. Also, this may not be the medication for you at all. It can take several attempts to get that straight. I hope you begin to feel better soon!

Its nice to read all these posts and not feel so alienated any more. Im back to the doc on monday and will ask then. Im just struggling at the moment to figure it all out.

Hi Lujais, welcome to CWE!

It's not always easy to distinguish between side effects and seizures. Known common side effects of Tegretol include confusion and dizziness, so those could be contributing to your sense of feeling "not fully functional." I hope your neuro can shed some light. And as Huskymom mentions, a blood test can help show if you are over-medicated, or otherwise reacting poorly to the medication.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom