Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > The Foyer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 AM
New Here

Question New and confused..is it epilepsy or my medication??

Hi everyone, Im new to both the site and having epilepsy. I was diagnosed 4 months ago and put on Tegretol. Initially i had some fatigue and loss of words but over all ok. Since then Ive been experiencing daily a strange disconnected feeling like im not quite fully functional. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Is it my medication that is doing this? Or am i still having some form of my seizures.

Any information would be very much appreciated as i just dont feel normal anymore. Should you feel normal when taking medication? Or will i always feel not quite right?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Hi Lujais and welcome!
What you are experiencing can certainly be due to the medication. Have you been to the doctor lately? You may need a simple blood test. This is the time period that one is usually done. He will need to check how your organs are dealing with the drug. Sometimes it has to be lowered or increased. Also, this may not be the medication for you at all. It can take several attempts to get that straight. I hope you begin to feel better soon!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 AM
New Here

Its nice to read all these posts and not feel so alienated any more. Im back to the doc on monday and will ask then. Im just struggling at the moment to figure it all out.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,271 Times in 5,361 Posts
Hi Lujais, welcome to CWE!

It's not always easy to distinguish between side effects and seizures. Known common side effects of Tegretol include confusion and dizziness, so those could be contributing to your sense of feeling "not fully functional." I hope your neurologist can shed some light. And as Huskymom mentions, a blood test can help show if you are over-medicated, or otherwise reacting poorly to the medication.

Best,
Nakamova