New to Forum: New York

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just joined the forum hoping to see if my symptomology fits an epilepsy profile of any kind.

First, a little background. I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder approximately 7 years ago. Tried many medications until this past year when I finally admitted I was anorexic and bulemic, which, of course, was affecting the way the meds were absorbed. I was hospitalized to detox and get stabilized for the eating disorder.

Went into the hospital on 6 different meds, came out on 1. Unfortunately, the eating disorder didn't change much and I was placed in residential treatment this past spring, I'm still struggling.

Now to the issue at hand. Since approximately April of this year, I have experienced a "swimmy" feeling in my brain. I can feel it coming on and cannot stop it. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or what I might be doing (laying, standing or sitting) , it will happen and progress to a double-vision situation. My vision is up and down, not side to side. If I cover one eye, I can see, if I cover the other, I can see, if both are open, it's double-vision hell.

I can walk, I can talk, but my vision and brain are not working correctly. I don't know what's causing this. I could drive if I thought it was safe, but I don't. Sometimes I feel nauseous, but have only thrown up once or twice. I feel like I need something to hold on to when I'm walking. I cannot read or look at a computer monitor.

It's been so bad I've had to take an ambulance ride from work to be evaluated...no stroke. CAT scan...nothing. Neurologist suggested seeing ophthalmologist, but I strongly feel it's neurological. He said we can do an MRI if I'd like.

Oh, I also have Lyme Disease, but have no idea how that might play into all of this.

Does any of this make sense to anyone??

Howdy feathercabin, welcome!

The symptoms you describe could be migraine, could be simple partial seizures (they fall on a spectrum). Simple partials don't always show up on an EEG, so that won't necessarily confirm or rule out an epilepsy diagnosis. Do you have any blood sugar issues from the anorexia/bulimia? Hypoglycemia can also cause the symptoms you describe, and/or trigger seizures. (see symptom list below):

Hypoglycemic symptoms and manifestations:
Adrenergic:
Shakiness, anxiety, nervousness
Palpitations, tachycardia
Sweating, feeling of warmth (although sweat glands have muscarinic receptors, thus "adrenergic manifestations" is not entirely accurate)
Pallor, coldness, clamminess
Dilated pupils (mydriasis)
Feeling of numbness "pins and needles" (paresthesia)
Glucagon manifestations:
Hunger, borborygmus
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort
Headache
Neuroglycopenic:
Abnormal mentation, impaired judgment
Nonspecific dysphoria, moodiness, depression, crying, exaggerated concerns
Negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
Personality change, emotional lability
Fatigue, weakness, apathy, lethargy, daydreaming, sleep
Confusion, amnesia, dizziness, delirium
Staring, "glassy" look, blurred vision, double vision
Flashes of light in the field of vision
Automatic behavior, also known as automatism
Difficulty speaking, slurred speech
Ataxia, incoordination, sometimes mistaken for "drunkenness"
Focal or general motor deficit, paralysis, hemiparesis
Paresthesia, headache
Stupor, coma, abnormal breathing
Generalized or focal seizures

I don't seem to have any of the symptoms you've listed and my head doesn't hurt during these episodes. My husband blames everything on the Lyme Disease because has chronic Lyme, but I sincerely doubt that's the cause. I'd like to have the MRI (although he wants me to have a brian spec scan that would show Lyme if that is the cause) and an EEG.

The hypoglycemia symptoms listed DO include double vision and nausea, plus focal seizures (which are simple partials). So it might be worth getting a blood sugar test just to rule that out.

I know at least one other CWE member also has Lyme, so she may chime in with her perspective on that.

Back
Top Bottom