New guy looking for answers...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Johnnewb

New
Reaction score
Hello "All", this is my first post...
I have both Grand Mal and Partial Complex seizures.
Believe it or not, I have come to accept the Grand Mal as a part of life and take meds for it. However, it is the Partial Complex seizures which are giving me the most trouble now.

I tend to "blank out" for a few to 30 seconds...It's not long, and unless someone was watching me or I was talking to them directly, no one would notice. My girlfriend calls them one of two things. They are either "mini-seizures" or "bouncing seizures." At time I will stumble (but not fall). Over the past couple years they have changed. Now, embarrassingly and without fail, I will lose control of my bladder for a few seconds.

I have been having about 20-30 a day...sometimes many more.

Does anyone have any clue what sort of seizure this is? Is this another type of seizure I am developing? I am heading to the Dr soon, but...well, I was just hoping someone had an idea what my brain is doing.

Hi Johnnewb, welcome to CWE!

The symptoms you're experiencing sound like absence seizures (what used to be called petit mals). In your case they may have with atonic components too. (Atonic seizures involve some temporary loss of muscle tone -- not enough to cause falls, but perhaps enough to cause bladder issues.). Absence seizures often occur many times a day, just as you describe.

They're usually treated with AEDs. I don't know what meds you are on now, but the ones most often prescribed are sodium valproate and ethosuximide. Another approach you might try is the MAD (Modified Atkins Diet). Most of the data on its success is from children, but it can help adults too. More info here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=modified-atkins-diet

I hope you can get some relief soon. Let us know what your doc says, and how things go.

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for the reply!
I am taking Dilantin 600mg a day...sometimes 700mg. I get the prescription from my father (who is a doctor in another state) and he has told me that is a very high dose...even dangerous.
When I take 700mg it seems to help, but if I take it for more than a day or two, I can really feel the strain on my body.
If the Neurologist has any breakthroughs I will be sure to pass them on.

That does sound like a pretty high Dilantin dose! (When I was on it, my dose was 100mg/day and an average dose tends to be around 300-400mg). Long-term, Dilantin can potentially affect your gums and your bones, and cause loss of sensation in your fingers and toes. For short-term signs of being overmedicated, watch out for the following symptoms, and get in touch with your doc if they show up:

Rapid eye movements
Difficulty speaking or slurred speech
Lethargy
Problems with coordination or balance
Dizziness
Drowsiness
Unusual body movements or shakiness.

Some other possible symptoms include:

Confusion
Hallucinations
Coma
Seizures