New here- 17 years old- Please read and reply! :S

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

How :) you're doing.

Hey! I read you previos message and found it strange to be called "brave."
But thank you ! :D

I'm also using this forum as a kind of log..to keep track of my events because I know if I write it somewhere else, I'll misplace it. -_- silly me

Today I've only 3 mild jerks but that strange feeling again for about 8 minutes. :brain: It's very weird...it preceeds a bilateral jerk.

How have you been doing, if I may know?

I am not doing that great. I'm confused by my symptoms and have no answers. So trying to stay positive is becoming harder and harder. But trying to figure it out is even harder. :ponder: But reading everyones posts is so helpful. Keeps my feet on the ground.

I wonder if we have similar symptoms. I have been experiencing lots of jerks, twinges, electrick shocks, pin pricks out of the blue (lol I actually look down to see if a spider just bit my toe). I find that these things are sometimes followed by weird feelings in my head. I fist described them as dizziness, but now I would say its a cross between dizzy and pressure in my head. Sometimes my left eye gets blurry ???

Is this similar to your feeling in your head?

I am not doing that great. I'm confused by my symptoms and have no answers. So trying to stay positive is becoming harder and harder. But trying to figure it out is even harder. :ponder: But reading everyones posts is so helpful. Keeps my feet on the ground.

I wonder if we have similar symptoms. I have been experiencing lots of jerks, twinges, electrick shocks, pin pricks out of the blue (lol I actually look down to see if a spider just bit my toe). I find that these things are sometimes followed by weird feelings in my head. I fist described them as dizziness, but now I would say its a cross between dizzy and pressure in my head. Sometimes my left eye gets blurry ???

Is this similar to your feeling in your head?

Julie, it hurts me to hear of your troubles and symptoms. I guess one things we may have in common is the strange feeling in our heads. However, mine feels as though I'm about to sleep and I precieve everything very differently. There is slight weakness and my state of mind results in a fog-like state. I noticed a pattern of these episodes which tend to precede bilateral jerk(s).

What does your doctor say?
As for me, I haven't seen a doctor yet about any of this but will soon!
Today has been a good day actually! The intensity and frequencies of such events significantly lowered as compared to yesterday.

Thanks. Looking for a new doctor now. Last one wasn't too good. Mine are less frequent today as well. What a relief. :)

Hey, Julie. How are you feeling today?

As for me, in the very early morning hours (5 A.M.), I was woken up by small jerks in my arms. I felt uneasy and propped up my legs a bit. Then, bam. I strong bilateral jerks of my upper legs swung my legs towards me( my face). I almost hit myself on the nose with my knees!

I quickly went back to sleep as I usually do after these night episodes.
Today, I've had the usual.

I'm really stressed out right now, though. I just realized that I'm taking the College Board tomorrow! It's similar to the SAT but it's in Spanish, except for two English sections. It is longer than the SAT. However, I only have to retake the morning part ( 8 A.M.-12 A.M.) so that's a bit of relief.
I haven't studies at all! I guess all-night today? I have to wake up at 6 A.M. so like I might as well study a lot tonight..go to bed around 2:00 maybe.

Hey, everyone! So, the test went well yesterday. It was actually easier than when I took it last time.

I've had the the usual jerks but not as much today. :)

Also, I was reading something and it said that what I was experiencing was an increase in muscle tone in the flexor muscles...?? That's why sometimes my arm(s) jerks bending at the elbow, my head has dropped to my chest, and my knees have gone up to my chest.( once- 3 maybe 4 days ago).

Today's Sunday and my appt. is on Wednesday, so almost there!

AND... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all fathers here!!!!!!!!!!

Glad today is better for you and the test is behind you. And I hope your appointment goes well. Just a few days away. ;) Sorry I didn't see your othe post. I am doing a bit better myself. But still have these jerks at night. grrrr and weird feelings in my head in the day on occassion. I'm reasearching doctors right now. Like throwing darts, hope I hit a good one. Have a good day.

lol at the "throwing darts." As long as that dart comes from and with good recommendations, backgroud, a patient success, it's hit a bull's eye. :)
Please let me know on how it all goes!

Hey, guys! How are you today?

My mom and I are headed off for my appointment with the psychiatrist. She's a lovely elderly woman and she's helped me so much! I really love her.
Mom is going to mention the symptoms I've been having( which I got a new one last night) to see if she can offer any insight.

Aside crom all of that, I'm soaking uo the summer sun and just relaxing before my Senior Year. I reLly cant believe that there's only one year left of highschool.
I don't want to grow up.

Note: Last night, very early A.M. I was awaken by the fog-like feeling I get before a "massive" jerk.( why does it wake me up BEFORE the jerk?)

You get woken up before a jerk probably by an aura. An aura is a simple-partial seizure that warns of a more complex seizure coming on. Some only get simple partials, some get them as warnings of a gran mal or other more complex type of seizure, but other people don't get auras at all and their seizures come without warning.

Let us know how your appointment went today!

Last edited:
You get woken up before a jerk probably by an aura. An aura is a simple-partial seizure that warns of a more complex seizure coming on. Some only get simple partials, some get them as warnings of a gran mal or other more complex type of seizure, but other people don't get auras at all and their seizures come without warning.

Let us know how your appointment went today!
Thank you for your answer!

You can read all about my appointment in my new thread at The Kitchen.

Hey everyone!!!!

Haven't heard from some of you in a while.

Today was my bood tests and it hurt a bit. I asked the lady if she could do it with the butterfly needle but she insisted on the pediatric one( the difference is that it's linger without the long tube). So, she goes ahead and draws my blood. With one tube out of four down, my blood coagulates and the second tube gets barely a drip of it. So, she's like, "oh... i'm gonna have to stick you again." -.-
She gets a butterfly needle to satisfy me( quoted) . And what happens next? The next three tubes fill up at a slightly slower pace than the first but surely and consecutively with no problem at all.

I sort of have a mild case of .. Well.. Phobia of needles. It's not tue type where I yell and cry of the sight of it and fight off the nurses, no. I'm actually pretty compliant with the whole procedur and pick up conversations with them. However, I get this involuntary reaction to the sensation of a needle in me where first my heart and blood pressure rises and then when the needle is finally in, my heart rate and blood pressure drop drastically. I get very pale and very nauseous VERY quickly. I usually pass out hut today I fought harf enough to only get close to it.

It's starnge because it's been a long time since I passed out or almos passed out due to a blood test. it was really bad when I was 13 all the way to ge 15. Then, i managed to calm myself bette prior to the test and that eliminated such episodes almost to 0! But today, I think the trigger for this one was that she punctured me two times on different arms. I really don't like that. Als, she "played around" with the needles inside the vein. -_-

Im so glad it's over with! I do have a lump where tue needle was though.

So, the blood tests that were ordered are:

CRP
CBC
RA Latex QUALT
Vitamin B12
TSH
Ceruloplasmin
Sed Rate
ASO

Any insight on them and what they have to do with possible seizures?

They're all very standard tests, meant mostly to rule things out rather than to rule them in.

-- CRP (C-reactive protein) = can indicate if there's infection or inflammation
-- CBC (Complete Blood Count) = measures red and white blood cells, hemoglobin, platelets, etc. Can show if there's anemia or similar blood issues.
-- RA Latex = test for rheumatoid arthritis
-- Vitamin b12 = looking for a deficiency. In some cases, a b12 deficiency can cause seizures.
-- TSH = Thyroid test
-- Ceruloplasmin = test for copper deficiency
-- Sed Rate = test for inflammation (with the CRP and RA Latex tests, can help diagnose rhuematoid arthritis)
-- ASO = strep test.

The tests are mostly to make sure that there isn't some kind of underlying health issue (like a deficiency or low-grade infection or auto-immune problem) that's causing your symptoms or contributing to them in some way.

Understood!
The lab said to call in Monday to see when they'll be ready.
The EEG is on Monday( have to go to sleep at 1:00 a.m. And wake up at 6 a.m.) is that considered a sleep-deprived EEG? They said I have to sleep during some portion of the EEG.

I'm getting kind of anxious really.

Also, I read the order for the head MRI and I cant even reas right tue soctors handwriting! I dont know if the scribbles sat with or without contrast or even if the word I'm making out ad contrast is actually that! Lol It's just a matter that I like to be mentally prepared when it comes to needles so knowing this bit of info beforehand helps heaps.

Yes, that would be a sleep-deprived EEG -- I think they consider anything less than 5 hours to be sleep-deprived. But if you regularly get by on just 5 hours of sleep, then you might consider staying up a bit later, just to make sure you're sleepy enough. For my EEGS, they asked me to stay up all night beforehand, just to guarantee that I would be ready for a nap when they taped in the wires...

My MRI was without contrast. It just consisted of lying in the tube while the noisy machine did its thing. No needles or anything. But you might want to put a call in just to get more info about it.

Oh, okay. And during the EEG, is there to be a technician with you at all times or are tey monitoring you through video or something? Is my mom allowed to he in the room with me?

Ive been getting a lot of sleep these days since it's summer, so the time planned out for me to sleep is just right.

I've had a cardiac MRI done with contrast ( last year). And they out an I.V. In as well as the sticker thingy on my finger. The machine took pictures at the rate of my heart. That's pretty cool though. In fact, the day of tye MRI, my arrhythmia wa pretty bad amd it was literally non-stop. Before getting the I.V. , every single beat which arrhythmic. Boy did that feel sooo weird! While getting the MRI done, it acted up again but noas ba as before the procedure and all you could hear in the room was the beeping of the monitor suddenly stopping then oing , then beep twice rapidly.. Just nuts. And as a result, the machine delayed in taking tue pictures.
Omg.. I talk too much. Sorry!!!!!!!

Every place has their own rules and regulations, so hard to know what you'll encounter. With my EEG, there was no video hook-up, and the technician was observing from the next room. They might discourage your mom from being in the room with you, but you could always ask -- probably at the very least she could wait just outside it, with the door open.

They may want to do your MRI with contrast if they want to take a closer look at the circulatory system in your brain in addition to the basic structure.

I had an MRI with contrast earlier this year, in preparation for shoulder surgery. Since the surgery involved putting two metal screws in my shoulder, I can't have any more MRIs at this point (unless the screws are removed).

Every place has their own rules and regulations, so hard to know what you'll encounter. With my EEG, there was no video hook-up, and the technician was observing from the next room. They might discourage your mom from being in the room with you, but you could always ask -- probably at the very least she could wait just outside it, with the door open.

They may want to do your MRI with contrast if they want to take a closer look at the circulatory system in your brain in addition to the basic structure.

I had an MRI with contrast earlier this year, in preparation for shoulder surgery. Since the surgery involved putting two metal screws in my shoulder, I can't have any more MRIs at this point (unless the screws are removed).

Oh :/ then I'll ask about mom being there. Wow, really? Like what if you need to get an emergency MRI, it's still not possible?
My sister has two rods and many screws on her spine. Is that the same as you? No more MRI's? The rods are Harrington rods- titanium. But tue screws I guess are metal.

Hey,umm.. Can I post a facebook link here?

It depends if the metal used is magnetic or not -- the plates, screws, and rods used to treat fractures aren't usually magnetic, so your sister would still be okay getting an MRI.

I'm not sure what would happen if I needed an emergency MRI. They'd either need to use CT-scans instead, or surgically remove the screws first.

You should be able to post a facebook link -- let me know if you aren't able to.

Back
Top Bottom