New here and suspected epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I can't remember, are you currently taking meds? Or, did they hold off on the meds until further testing? If you're not on meds, your EEG may test positive. Mine tested positive during the hyperventilation. I hope you find some answers before the move.

Not currently on any meds.

If I have complex partials I hope it tests positive, but I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that it really might be, so I'm also hoping it's negative...

I also don't really want to go on meds until I've had a witnessed seizure, so far both have been unwitnessed and I think someone else seeing it would obviously help the neurologist with a diagnosis, but would help me come to terms with it.

I understand completely, believe me. I still have days (that run into weeks) when I think if I quit taking my meds I'll go back to being seizure-free. As if it's the damn meds that are ruining my life, or something.

Your rationale makes sense and I think it's a sound decision, at least until the EEG is complete.

Had EEG this morning. How annoying is that glue stuff?! And the strobing lights were really not fun. Don't think I had a seizure though.

Will hopefully get the results in a week or so.

Yeah, not fun at all lol...baby oil gets rid of any remaining glue if theres any stuck in your hair. I didnt mind the lights but couldn't stand the breathing part!
I didnt think I had any seizure activity during my EEG either until my neurologist said I did. The test picks up such minor brain waves that you don't have to go into a fit in order for it to be positive.
But then again, I hope its negative and you are fine and dandy! You know what I mean :) please let me know what they say, I think about you all the time :)

Thanks BrandiBrat :)
I've had such a headache all day after the EEG, think it must be from the lights. :(
I've also still got glue stuck in my hair, and no baby oil.

I hope it's negative too, unless I do have epilepsy, in which case I hope it's positive so I don't have to have the sleep-deprived one, or any more tests.

Boo about the headache.... :( do you ever get those after seizure activity? It's a normal for me. I wouldn't want the sleep deprived one, either. I get really grouchy when my sleep is disrupted lol.

I don't usually, the only two I'm aware of I had no warning signs and felt okay again after- just a bit disorientated and confused for ten-fifteen minutes.

I tried to be a little sleep-deprived today, I usually have 8-9 hours sleep and I only had 5.5, but it was rough and I dread having to function after an all nighter, I love sleeping too much.

I would've done the same thing....if it's Epilepsy, bring it on....just to be certain. I remember after my EEG the technician must have seen something and she asked me how I felt. I had the worst ringing in my ears I've ever felt so I told her my ears were ringing for some strange reason! She never told me why. Well, now I know why. But, that was my first indication of seizure activity and it was from her inducing it from the breathing.

Interesting. The technician asked me a whole bunch of times if I was okay. She also kept reassuring me during the breathing thing and kept saying 'you're doing really well' every minute or so. I asked at the end though and she wouldn't tell me anything. Yeah, if it's epilepsy BRING IT.

Yeah, I think they're sworn to secrecy hahaha! You are so strong :) And just think, the answers are just around the corner, now! Did they say how long it would take for you to hear back? I've got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for good health and you know you have friends here night or day.

Finally heard back about the EEG yesterday. Only spoken on the phone briefly but the neurologist said it came back clean. I have an appointment with him tomorrow morning, but I'm not sure what's going to happen next. On the 27th I move home to Northern Ireland and will presumably have to get medical records transferred again to a new GP and neurologist.

I think the neurologist is going to recommend a sleep-deprived EEG (he mentioned it already) but I feel further tests are a little pointless since I haven't had a known seizure in over 2 months and none of them have been witnessed. I'm tempted to tell him I don't want anymore tests until someone has witnessed me seizing, but I'm not sure if this is just delaying things further, and is just wishful thinking that I don't have epilepsy. If anyone has any opinions on this, I'd find it really helpful.

I'm so stressed out with the thought of moving back home and having to do my dissertation and get another job, without having to think about neurologists and GP visits and epilepsy!

Hi there, the neuro wouldn't want to do the sleep deprived EEG if he didn't feel the test is warranted. Although I think it's great you haven't had a seizure in 2 months, I think you should do the test just to be thorough.
I understand your stress, I really do...graduate school, work, a long distance move, and dealing with this is a lot to deal with. All the reason to take care of your health! :) We're here to support you in your decision, whatever it is.

I know it's tough to worry about the possibility of having epilepsy, and no fun dealing with the healthcare bureaucracy. On the other hand -- wouldn't it be great to get as much reassurance as possible? Complex partials can be tough to diagnose, and they don't always show up on the first EEG. A sleep-deprived EEG won't hurt, and has the chance of providing more information to help rule in or rule out a diagnosis. So keep it in mind as an option if the neuro recommends it.

Ultimately it's your call whether or not to proceed with additional testing, particularly if you remain seizure- and symptom-free. Given all that's going on in your life right now, it may feel better to postpone any of the medical stuff until you get settled in back home. I hope that whatever you decide, you remain healthy and happy.

Saw the neurologist this morning.
He's booked me in for a sleep-deprived EEG on Monday morning. (I was having problems with his secretary and her not returning calls etc so I think he felt bad and rushed me in).
If it also shows nothing the investigation should end there, provided I have no further seizures.
If I have any more seizures they'll hopefully at least be witnessed and then I'll be referred to a neurologist in Belfast and we'll take things from there.

Hi, I've found this thread really interesting. I feel like I'm just starting down this road of diagnosis that you've almost gotten to the end of. It's cleared up a lot of unknowns for me. I really hope that you get the results that you want but to have come this far, considering everything else that you've got on shows that you're obviously immensely strong. I only hope I have your same strength as i proceed.

Im glad you got in so quick, good for you girl!! Now, stress yourself out and drink a bunch of caffeine. Lol We're hoping it's clean but more than that we want it to be reliable. So good luck my friend and I'll be thinking about you Monday!
Nick I was talking about you last night and Im glad this experience helps you. You will find your answers as well. Be persistent and test on as Albie is doing...

Wow, that was fast! (It can take several months to get a sleep-deprived EEG scheduled here in the U.S.). Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom