New member with fears and questions...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all....I've been avoiding this for a long time. When I first had symptoms I didn't know what the heck was going on; I just thought I was having flashbacks and really thought I was going crazy. I had weird deja vu feelings that didn't even make sense, and then when I smelled this new detergent at the market it happened again. And then with certain music. I began Googling "deja vu" and found that I was perhaps seizing, so after a call to the neurologist and an EEG, turns out I was correct. That was in 2005; since then I have only had 4 episodes, but my worry is that they can change from simple partial to the more severe kind. I don't want to go on medication, as I suffered from post partum severely after the birth of my child and have read so many side effects are suicidal tendencies, and I know I'd be at risk.

The total panic of a seizure is overwhelming to me. When I am in one I think I need to kill myself because I can't deal with it. Then when I come out of it I don't think like that. My emotions are just so strong at that time, and the hallucinations are all nonsensical but I know what song I am going to hear and what people I am going to see. Weird, huh?

Also, for the last 2 episodes (July and yesterday/today) I have had cluster ones; yesterday I had 5 all together and today I had 1 this morning.

I take Ativan low dosage to see if it stops and usually it will. I read where sometimes these will lowere the chances of getting another one.

I don't want to keep rambling, but my final question refers to driving. How strict are the docs? I am a professor and drive about 30 minutes to my school. I live in a rural area and have no other way to get there. I love my job and can't bear to think of leaving it. Any suggestions here?

I appreciate any and all insight or help. I'm sort of at my wit's end and am living in fear of another seizure . Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hello: 221

Welcome to CWE and glad to have you here, and
sorry you're having to endure all of this, but one
place you can visit to start off with is clicking on
this: EPILEPSY 101

And feel free to browse around and learn from many
others.

As for the Driving Laws - it depends on what State
you are residing at:

Driving Laws by State - Epilepsy Foundation

Hope this helps!

Hi, hello and

how do you do? :) It's nice to meet you! CWE is a wonderful place to be... Mr B has made us an AWESOME home here. Lots of nooks and crannies to check out.

In regards to your question about driving, that varies by state. Go check out this particular thread. I think you'll find it interesting.

epilepsy and driving laws

While I don't go thru the same deja vu episodes that you do, (I'm blessed with the tonic clonics in my sleep) there are others on here that do, and I'm sure that they'll be along soon to put in their :twocents: also.

Feel free to find your way around the forum, ask questions, whatever you need. That's what we're here for. If we don't have the answer, we'll find a way to point you in the right general direction.

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

Hi Sherlock (or is it Watson?), welcome to the forum. :hello:

Sharon gave you a good reference for finding out about Virginia's driving laws with respect to seizures.

The best advice I can offer you is to get the seizures under control. It seems a common occurance that people new to a diagnosis of epilepsy later discover that they had been experiencing complex partial seizures (or absence seizures) for a long time and weren't aware of it (because they involved complete cognitive impairment - no conscious awareness).

Some suggestions: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

welcome.

I'm new here too and so far seems like a very nice community

I was where you are at just a few weeks ago -- scared to death. I was scared of what was wrong with me but, at the same time, scared to get a diagnosis. I was finally diagnosed with partial seizures -- some simple and some complex and have started on depakote er. Interestingly enough, as Bernard said, I do believe I've been having others that I didn't know about at the time. Since getting a few day's worth of medication in me, I have noticed that I am waking up without the panicky, unsteady feeling I had almost every single morning for some time. My neurologist speculated that I may have been having partial seizures in my sleep or immediately upon wakening. Anyway, I say all this to tell you that it's best to just find out what your reality is. Not knowing and worrying about it is worse than knowing.

Hi bakerstreet! Welcome to CWE. Check out the sites that the others have listed in regards to driving. Also, getting the seizures under control is the primary thing. Seizures can increase in type and intensity if left untreated. So make sure that your talking to your neurologist.

Dear baker street( i love sherlock too:D)
as far as driving goes , most countries require a seizure free period of 2 years . Statistically , after a year you have an 85-95% less chance of seizing while driving. Right now, what yuou should worry about is your health. I'm sure you could never forgive yourself if you caused an accident by driving with uncontrolled seizures. I'm a bit worried about the suicidal ideation you mention when you have the seizures. Be sure to tell your neurologist as many anti seizure medications can provoke this as well as major depression.
yesterday I had 5 all together
is not cool. did this entire sequence last more than 30 mins? if so it is status epilepticus and you need to get checked out. Don't worry about the epilepsy. AS almost everyone here knows - it's not the end of the world. I think kansas educator will relate best to your problems as she was in exactly your shoes not too long ago. get better soon :)

Back
Top Bottom