new member saying hello

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am a schoolteacher. I work with students with special needs. One year, I had a seizure in class, when I was teaching middle school. Unbeknownst to me, there was a student in the room who also had seizures. She wasn't a child that stood out. Very quiet. Easy to miss. Shy. All I remember was a big pair of brown eyes peering over the shoulders of the paramedics, with a look of worry. I smiled...and then cracked a joke with the paramedic. Something along the lines of "We've gotta quit meeting like this. " I remembered that he had responded when I had a seizure the previous school year. We laughed, and waited for my hubby to show up and take me home. The next day, when I was back at work and the kids asked if I was okay, I told them yes, and smiled, and explained what epilepsy is. The little girl with big brown eyes just sat in the back of the room, really quiet, while kids all around the class asked me questions. They asked about my medical bracelet, what to do if I had one, if it hurt. And some of the kids had been scared because I had bitten my tongue and it bled a little. Two days later, I got a call from the mother of the little girl with big brown eyes. She called to say thank you. Her daughter has epilepsy, and had been intentionally not taking her meds, and didn't want to wear a bracelet. Following my question and answer time with the kids, the little girl had gone home and put on her bracelet and told her mom that she'd go ahead and take her medicine. We don't always know who we will touch when we answer questions about seizures. But if we can make life more comfortable for even one more person with E....well then....what more can we hope for?
I'm new as well and I wish I had a teacher like you in school. Adults I met couldn't deal with it. I grew up when very little was known about the brain and educators often wondered if I had one. I'd always joke the EEG was conclusive proof I had a brain if there was any doubt.

The day of my seizure gas could be smelled down stairs and it was 15 days after my maternal grandma died. My paternal grandma who was her usually poisonous self was arguing with the aid over starting the stove and the aid wasn't thinking clearly so I tried to calm the aid down so she could handle my grandma. I turned on all the fans in the kitchen area and in the hood as well as the second fan in the stove top. Then opened the windows my mom was calling me every 15 minutes and the whole thing was crazy. Tried to get the pastor on the phone ended up not being able to and finally met up and had a clonic tonic in front of him and was rushed to the hospital where they didn't give me anything and then my mom showed up and I got fed up and left after which she could find her car but finally we found it drove home and I went to bed because I was tired.

Hi Katz, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Did you continue to have seizures after that experience with the gas?

I think I might have had one in the EEG but I was scared and had to urinate. Haven't had a big one since then but been taking my AED which is Keppra 750 2 times a day faithfully and I've been getting adequate sleep, have stopped vomitting everything I eat and see some hope finally. My mom says I need to compromise but haven't I lost enough? Isn't it enough I lost my freedom, my sense of purpose and my desire to live at all? Isn't it enough to destroy everything I managed to build back and that I just wanted to jump outt of the window or blow my brains out because my life went from a decent life to a meaningless episode of psychological torture and I hate my paternal grandma's guts and want her dead. Yet they expect me to respect her when the most they can hope for is that I won't blow her crazy verbally abusive brains out. For two years I thought about drowning her in the lake but decided against it and just wished she would die during the night. Psychologically I'm a train wreck.

It seems strange to me that they put you on Keppra right away when you apparently only had a single seizure that was likely induced from breathing gas (oxygen depravation).

Have you have any follow up testing (EEGs) that shows you are still having seizure activity? How long ago was your only seizure?

Welcome Katz!....

You'll find lots of good, friendly people and good information here.

There are threads about Keppra you may be interested in....just do a quick search on 'Keppra' and see what it pulls up!

There's also the Epilepsy 101 thread that has some really good info in it regardless of whether you've just started having seizures or have been seizing since you were a little baby!

Peace
Speber
:rock:

Welcome aboard Katz. Like Speber said you will a lot of nice people here. I hope you enjoy it here.

Thanx man. The only problem is I'm not a nice person:)

It seems strange to me that they put you on Keppra right away when you apparently only had a single seizure that was likely induced from breathing gas (oxygen depravation).

Have you have any follow up testing (EEGs) that shows you are still having seizure activity? How long ago was your only seizure?
I fainted two years ago from the heat and my grandma is driving me crazy. I thought about drowning her in the lake but was worried she might poison the fish or contaminate the lake. :) I thought about shooting her but I couldn't get rid of the body because she weighs a ton and I cannot drive. Besides she isn't worth a bullet. My parents expect me to respect her and I told them the most they can hope for is that I do not murder her in her bed.
My seizure occured feburary 25 th of this year. Fiftee days after my maternal grandma died from complications from hip surgery on my dead brother's birthdate twenty years after he was killed by a drunk driver and there was no justice. They didn't give me an anticonvulsant to prevent it from happening again. When they hauled me out I was grateful to get away from there finally.
My last EEG was in March of this year. The cause of my seizures is still unknown. Yet I suspect what triggered it was the death of my maternal grandma and the fact I resented taking care of my paternal grandma and the control she had over my parents. The fact they ruined my life to take her in and that they expected me to actually take care of her when I didn't care what happened to her because she used guilt as a weapon. My seizure broke her control and made her understand she had no say in anything and shaving my head finished the job. I'm thinking of repiercing my right nostril to show her she doesn't have any control over anything or to drive her off. I also drink too much, do not eat much and was unable to sleep. I been tortured for two years and I reached my breaking point. I look at her like she is already dead and don't care what she says or thinks anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom