New, nocturnal seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Had a tonic clonic in October. Now I think I'm having nocturnal seizures. Any help from the experienced?

Hi Jimbobmoore, welcome to CWE!

I gave your post it's own thread, so folks could see it and respond.

Some possible signs that you've had a nocturnal seizure are:

Unusual aches or injuries; sore muscles.
Headaches or extra-fogginess upon waking.
Bitten cheeks or tongue.
Bedwetting, or excessive sweating.

Can you set up a computer camera to monitor your sleeping? Some fitness monitors (like the Fitbit) also monitor sleep -- unusual activity would be a clue.

You could also ask your neuro about having an overnight sleep study done.

Jimbobmoore

Had a tonic clonic in October. Now I think I'm having nocturnal seizures. Any help from the experienced?

When you have a Nocturnal seizure especially tonic clonic you will realise it, at lest I do, the pain in your body alone from your muscles where they had been stretched. The feeling of tiredness and who knows what you did to yourself, cutting your head open, biting your lips there are so many different things that can happen to you or you do. These are only a few of the things that happen to me. The difference with nocturnal seizures is you are asleep when they happen and it varies from person to person the way they affect you, the best thing so you know for certain is to set up a camera for when you go to bed or somebody who can say "yes you are having seizures in your sleep.

Ahhh thank you for the feedback. Called my neurologist but they don't like to get me in there very quickly. Is that a trend with neurologists?

Yeah I was jolting awake the last two days with bad anxiety. Tuesday I actually dreamed I was having a seizure before I jolted awake. It was weird. Was really disoriented when I woke up

Jimbobmoore

Sounds like the neurologist I attend.

Jimbobmoore

Yeah I was jolting awake the last two days with bad anxiety. Tuesday I actually dreamed I was having a seizure before I jolted awake. It was weird. Was really disoriented when I woke up

Being jolted awake happens to me as well and beaning disoriented sounds familiar as well. What you have described has the sound of a seizure.

Jimbobmoore

Hopefully you will get the answers then. Mind yourself in the mean time.

Interesting that you dreamed you were having a seizure. I have dreamed that, though it's been a long time. I have actually read that seizures are rare during REM sleep, but the jolting awake might be a clue, though it also could be a reaction to the nightmare. Then again, feeling disoriented does sound like a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom