New and not sure what's happening

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Vickymch

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Woke up the other morning to find I have broken a few of my teeth and my mouth was full of blood, but I hadn't bitten my tongue just the sides of my mouth, and my jaw felt like I had been punched with a whopping headache to go with it. I have no recolection of a seizure but a vivid dream of my dad being there with me, except he died 19 years ago. Is this usual?
Could this have been a tonic clonic seizure? Or a bad case of grinding my teeth and a bad dream?him being there was so real yet I've never had anything like this happen before.
I've had 2 tonic clonic seizures recently but my son was there this time he was a sleep.
I've only been diagnosed a month and all the doctors do is up my meds, could it be that?
Epilepsy and this stroke I never knew I had is really doing my head in.

I recently had a TC in my sleep, I managed not to bite my mouth up too badly...but I would assume if I woke up like that, that i'd had a seizure.

I'm sorry :/

It can be anything, keep a journal (I'm also telling myself this because I haven't written anything today). If you don't feel like your doc is actually listening to you or your symptoms, fire him!

Welcome Vicky,
I would say so. Not biting your tongue isn't an exact indication; I've had several tonic clonics in which I either didn't bite my tongue at all, or so very little of it that I didn't notice until the next day.
I found that first unwitnessed seizure tough to deal with, no one was home and no one could describe it, had to put the puzzle pieces together myself. IMO if you had broken teeth, blood, sore jaw, headache, and cheeks bit up, it was a tonic clonic. Just my opinion, but I have had enough of them to feel confident throwing that out there. BIG HUGS, I know it sucks. I've hardly been able to eat the past four days my tongue is so bloody sore.
Especially your vivid dream, that's quite an indicator too, likely a simple partial that generalized on you. How did you feel when you woke up - if you were out of it at all that points towards a t.c. too.

Hi Vicky, welcome to CWE!

I have to agree with the others -- sounds like a seizure, and you should definitely let the neurologist know. What med to they have you on? It would be unlikely that the med would cause the seizure, but it might not be helping either, in which case a different med might be in order.

Best,
Nakamova

Vickymch

Big wwarm welcome to CWE..

:-( ''broken a few of my teeth" did you fall?

Hi thanks guys for your comments, I will let the epilepsy nurse know, I haven't seen my neurologist since I was diagnosed but that probably the English NHS system for you. I am currently on 2000 mg a day epilim chrono and diazapam when I feel all panick stricken. This epilepsy really does scare me at times, I'm getting all three kinds of seizures now, I can deal with the partial and complex partials but its the not knowing when I have a full blown ones I don't like and the side affects which come with

Hi chaz
Not to knowledge, I woke up in bed like it. I think I was asleep but I don't know all I remember is my dad and I know that's impossible?

welcome to CWE.

sorry to hear of this is all happening to you.

It could be that meds. need changing, does sound like these are controlling your seizures.

Dealing with E., seizures and meds. can be scary, but keep on your Dr. till you see a great improvement.

Keep us posted.

HUGS

I've never known a person who could sleep through breaking their teeth or getting beat up (without having a seizure). I've had a couple seizures where I woke up in a frightened, out-of-it post seizure haze, and then went back to sleep after walking around randomly (all the while bleeding from my mouth). I don't remember those. I've had ones where I didn't have symptoms like the tongue or cheek pain, and I wouldn't even know I had a seizure if not for my girlfriend witnessing it.
Just my experience. Be patient with the doctors. I've been trying to get mine under control for years.

Last edited:
Vickymch,

Poor u :-( yes would defo talk to your E nurse, maybe a sleep analysis would shed some light...its also possible u did get up and walk about after a seizure (mayb when your Dad though you were OK and left your side) but you just done know it......

my Son has E and all types of seziures and the big ones (T/C) to boot. Worry = stress, so try not to worry too much, main goal should be to get the seziures under control and does not sound like your medication is doing its job...

Back
Top Bottom