New Person

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and glad to be here. I'm trying to find help for my 23 year old son, who has grand mal seizures and refuses any type of medication or treatment. He is suffering from PTSD from the war (started having seizures in Iraq) and I'm at a real loss as to how to help him.
I am at this point looking into getting power of attorney so that I can do something... anything.

Welcome anastasia66

I've had seizures all my life & it was when I was 19 that I decided that I didn't need my medications anymore. Of course I was fine for 3 days but the 3rd day I had a huge convulsion that took me 3 days to recover from. I'm over 50 yrs old now & to this day that is the worst seizure I've had.

I can understand not wanting to be on AEDs since the side-effects can be such a pain, however it seems when you find the right AED or combination of AEDs that it is the best way to control seizures.

Here is a list of alternative treatments to medications that might help but I still suggest you try to get your son to take his meds.

Do be careful though, you'll notice on the chart that some of them have an efficacy rate of 0.

Hi anastasia66, welcome to CWE!

Neurofeedback is one non-medication treatment that has shown promise in treating seizures and PTSD. The U.S. military has been studying it's use for verterans with PTSD. More info here: http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/06/20/062011-news-neurofeedback-1-6/

You might try contacting "Homecoming for Veterans (HC4V)" -- it's a non-profit founded to "provide Neurofeedback training for veterans for the rehabilitation of PTSD and issues of brain performance resulting from traumatic brain injury, blast injury, concussion, whiplash, and chemical exposure." More info here: http://www.homecoming4veterans.org/

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom