Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MNGirl

New
Reaction score
Hi to Everyone,

Although I am new to posting I have to say I have been sitting in the background reading posts for about a year now. I will give you a (hopefully brief) history about myself and what brought me here.

I was not diagnosed with Epilepsy until last year shortly after my 50th birthday, and a week after my divorce became final. I was married to what I thought was the perfect man, I worked for 10 years and put him through school to get his BS, when he was done with his Schooling he decided he needed a year off before he began looking for a job, he found one and 2 days after he came off his probationary period he left me a letter on the table that said he wanted a divorce. He cleared out or savings accounts, checking accounts and took all things of value. My life as I knew it came crashing down. I slowly got my life back together, bought a new house and a new car, a year later was divorced, things were looking great until one day at work I had a 27 minute seizure, then my life as I knew it was crumbling again. I worked as a Correctional Officer in a prison, so they reassigned me until all the tests and doctor appointments could confirm a diagnosis. Then I had to take a Medical Retirement, my doctor said I could never again go back to work or at least not there. I got on SSDI right away and got it on the first application. My new car now belongs to my Son because I knew if I left it in my driveway I would be to tempted.

I have been diagnosed with Partial Complex and Simple Partials, I currently take 2500 MG of Keppra a day, I found the best Doctor and have been truely blessed to have found him. Some days are better then others and somedays I feel like throwing in the towel and calling it a day. My family is supportive when they can, they live about 3hours from me, my Father has been my savior so many times over.

Although my ex-husband took everything from me, he did not take my determination, my love of life or my dignity!

I am thrilled that I came across this forum and I hope to make friends here, and others that understand the struggles we face.

Sorry, tried the brief story didn't quite work out ugh!

Dee

Dee,

Welcome to the forum. I'm so glad you are here!

I so admire your strength, and your positive energy. You are an amazing person. Your husband has lost out on a very good thing. (But he sounds like a rat - I'm glad your home is now rat-free)

How are you doing on the Keppra? Are your seizures under control?

I see my Doctor on Thursday, the Keppra at times is a struggle, always so so tired, my seizures are about 3-5 a week still, but that is a who lot better then 3-5 a day...So I am looking forward to the doctor visit and getting some answers to a few questions (If I can remember to write them down lol)and hopefully I will get some help with the migrains ugh!! double Ugh!!

Thank you for your warm greeting!

Hi MNGirl, welcome!

You've got a great attitude! (My own seizures were brought on in part by the stress from a sudden ending to a long-term relationship -- so you have my sympathies!). I hope you get some migraine help form you doc. Some folks here at CWE have found that taking a magnesium supplement has reduced their migraines -- something to consider...

Hi Dee :hello:

Sorry to hear about your rat infestation, but sounds like you were able to persevere! Kudos to you for your energy and positive outlook. After all, who better to look out for us then ourselves! Best of luck to you, and I am looking forward to seeing you more often on the site :tup:

:e:

Hi Dee,

Love your attitude - wonderful to read that you have such a great attitude to life and that you are such a strong person. Your ex-husband - the rat - is the weak one. You are too good for him!!!

Hoping you gain much better control of your epilepsy soon and that you soon have less seizures. Wishing you the very best of luck on that account. Hoping to hear more from you very soon. Wishing you a big welcome to this site - hopiing you find it informative, supportive, enjable and fun. I'm sure you wll also give support and information to others - which is always great - it is always a great feeling when you feel like you have helped some one.

Miss Choccy

Susan

:e:

Thank you everyone, I look forward to hearing and helping others....When I have one of my pity parties I tend to be selfish and invite no one, thankfully they only last a day or two. I have been reading the posts from others and when I was first diagnosed it was a great source of strengh to hear others that are dealing with the same thing as I am, and as "friends" fell to the wayside it was nice to come on here and read the experiences of others and I hope that I can give back as muh as I have received!

Hi Dee!

Welcome to CWE!

I saw your post about you having migraines, and I wanted to comment, when I was on Keppra, I was taking 3000mgs a day, I had the worst headaches, and at times they would lead to migraines. In Sept 2010, My dr tried to increase my keppra to 4000mgs a day, which made it even worse, and caused me to have break through seizures. They took me off the Keppra and put me on Keppra XR. To my suprise, the headaches almost vanished! I hardly have any headaches, and I cant recall the last time I had a migraine. I take 3000mgs of the Keppra XR a day, along with Carbatrol ER.

Trying the magnesium could help too with the headaches and migraines. I take also a vitamin B Complex pill, which helps with the Keppra rage. Makes me so much calmer and easier to handle my days.

My husband is a caseworker for the dept of corrections, he too started out as a correctional officer. He's told me of days where it can get stressful.

I hope everything is going well for you. If you need anyone to talk to, Im here for you! :)

Thank you Momof3, I read about the Vit.B and B6 here on this site and started them about 6 months ago and what a huge help they are, seems every time I have seizure the next day or two I am totally wiped out, so the Vitamins help with that alot. Thank you for your warm welcome!

As a fellow long-time looker first-time poster I wanted to say hi and stay strong. Like you this forum has provided so much support and reassurance and I'm glad you spoke up to share your experience as well.

I don't know what it is about life, but it seems that when it gets hard it gets really hard all at once. Stay true to yourself and keep making the best decisions for you!!!

Take care and be well!!!

Back
Top Bottom