Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

flinnigan

New
Reaction score
I'm not very good at this type of stuff. Blogging, sharing etc. All new to me but I guess I'm supposed to introduce myself here. I've been diagnosed with a cavernoma in the right temporal lobe and am heading in for the WADA test next week. I've been having seizures off and on for 35 years only just diagnosed in April 2008. I was in the hospital in Dec. for a 5 day EEG. One day they kept me up late pumped in the caffeine and stressed me out, trying to induce a seizure so they could do the Ictal Spec exam. The next day I got a blind spot in one eye that sent me into a panic. Didn't get the seizure but one heck of a migraine instead. It had happened once a few years ago but until that day I didn't know what it was. After leaving the hospital I researched migraines more only to find that their triggers are almost exactly the same as seizures. I've never vomited but have felt the need. Is there a link between migraines and epilepsy? The caffeine is an issue for me. I don't really like it but with my meds I can't stay awake during the morning without it. I've been getting the vertigo feeling lately and a lot of headaches but not drowsy and no seizures. I guess you have to pick the better of two evils. My biggest trigger seems to be my period. I'm toying with the idea of going back on the pill. Anybody have luck with anything like that?:ponder:

Hi flinnigan :hello: Welcome to CWE! Caffeine seems to be a trigger for many people. Maybe you should consider weaning yourself off. There's also a definite link between migraines and epilepsy.

Have you considered what roles diet and nutrition might play with your seizures, migraines, and hormones? The best advice I can give is to research the connection between these and making some adjustments. You'd be amazed at how much some simple lifestyle changes might help.

Thanks Bernard,

I'm seeing my OB/GYN in 2 weeks and have told my Neuro I want to go that route. I'm probably going off Trileptal at that time and am looking onto Neurofeedback etc. Tired off the medication not doing anything except making me sleepy. Thanks for this forum it's been a great help.

Paula:e::e::e:

Back
Top Bottom