Newbie alert !

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the title, I'm new to the forum and would just like to say hello to everybody.

I've had epilepsy all my life, but did go through a phase of only having a seizure about once every 1.5 years.

It's now escalated to more like a couple every 2-3 weeks, which ain't so bad, but could be better. It does seem to have started since I've "upped" the dosage on my medication for Ulcerative Colitis ; anybody else experience this ?

I have night-time seizures when they do happen, and it kinda only lasts for a short period - approx 10-20 seconds - where I get out of bed, and then get back in and go straight to sleep afterwards.

Anyways, I won't go on. I just popped in to say Hi, and hope I can pick up a few things from this site :tup:

Regards,

TeeTees

Hi TeeTees, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Do you think the GARD diet might help with your UC?

Thanks Bernard. I've never heard of the GARD diet before.....looks interesting though. The only problem I might have is dropping the dairy products : I do bodybuilding, and protein drinks are full off it !

I'll definitely be having a look into it though - maybe I can begin by reducing the protein drinks and looking for other methods.

Thanks again mate.

Oh, by the way : just in case people think I'm being ignorant to responses....I live in the UK, so the time differences can cause probs, but I'm the computer most nights. So please don't feel offended ;-)

night seizures

Hi Tee Tee,

Welcome!

You mentioned night seizures. How do you know you've had them? If you're asleep and all.... I've heard of them many times but am not really sure about them.

Cheers,

Maureen

Hi Tee Tee,

Welcome!

You mentioned night seizures. How do you know you've had them? If you're asleep and all.... I've heard of them many times but am not really sure about them.

Cheers,

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Thanks for the Welcome.

I always get an aura before my seizure, kinda like an out of body feeling, and then it's as if my mind rings an alarm bell that wakes me up.....then it begins (this is the usual one), where I hear a threatening voice (a man's) telling me that he's going to stab me with a knife. This is why and when I get out of bed. I then kinda come around, and sense that it's now okay to get back into bed, and so I do..and fall asleep.

Usually when I wake up the next morning I still a little tired, and can sense that I had a seizure as well. Just a nice little reminder that my brain gives me - thankyou very much brain !! (haha)

I hope that gives you a better understanding :tup:

Regards,

TeeTees

Welcome TeeTees,

I am just curious about what they put into those protein drinks. What kind of protein do they use?

The GARD diet has helped my son with his intestinal distress. You might try it. Dairy unfortunately is a large part of the elimination. My daughter is on it, for seizure control, and she drinks Vanilla Rice Milk.

Welcome TeeTees,

I am just curious about what they put into those protein drinks. What kind of protein do they use?

The GARD diet has helped my son with his intestinal distress. You might try it. Dairy unfortunately is a large part of the elimination. My daughter is on it, for seizure control, and she drinks Vanilla Rice Milk.

Hi Robin,

Here's the ingredients in the Met-RX Supreme Whey I use :

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate), Cocoa Powder, Flavourings, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Chloride, Bulking Agent (Xanthan Gum), Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Sweetener (Acesulfame K).

I just don't know what I'd do if I had to give up this stuff, as bodybuilding is quite a big part of my life - I don't do competitions or such, but I absolutely love de-stressing myself on the good ole weights.

Any suggestions ?

:hello: Tee-Tees!

Welcome to CWE!
Cute Avatar by the way!
:tup:
Glad to have you here!

:hello: Tee-Tees!

Welcome to CWE!
Cute Avatar by the way!
:tup:
Glad to have you here!

Thanks for the welcome brain :)

That's Benji (my dog) in the Avatar - he's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I caught him trying to get 40 winks when we were on holiday last year.

HI Tee Tee : Welcome to the board ,nice meeting you !!!!!!
I follow the Gard diet and Homeopathy. You can still make your drink ,just substitute
rice milk, or almond milk for your reg milk. You will have to find a susbstuite for the whey. But I am sure you can without problem. Ask at the gym I am sure pple will have suggestions.
Looking forward to getting to know you !!!

Riva

Problem is Riva, the Whey Protein is already in the drink mixture.
From what I am reading it is a free glutamate which is an excitotoxin.

I am sure you can make your own protein drink . Their are many recipes out there , I had a one interesting cookbook from vitamix that had some interesting recipes.

Riva

Yes I am sure that is true. However, we have had two people recently state that they are consuming a ready made protein drink. I was just curious as to what the ingredients were on the container. I am finding the MSG connection to seizure very interesting. The hidden names are astounding.

We just bought a ready made rotisserie chicken last night, I happened to look at the ingredients on the label, and there was citric acid. Hmmmm

Thanks for the welcome brain :)

That's Benji (my dog) in the Avatar - he's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I caught him trying to get 40 winks when we were on holiday last year.

He's "Dah-Ling" - you should run to
the CWE Store and get him a T-Shirt!
(Yes they have T-Shirts for 'dem dawgs')
:lol:

Guess who demanded it?

::: whistles :::

Birdy!

(But you didn't see this post from me)

:D

3cf6cef9.gif
WOOF !
3cf6cef9.gif

Yeapers, I've ordered one for each of my furry little ankle biters. When the shirts get here, I'll post a photo of them! :comp:

Thanks for all the welcomes.....really glad I found this site, there's sooo much more information on here rather than people just feeling sorry for themselves (comparing to other sites).

Here's one for you Brain - Benji says Hi too :

DSC01463.jpg

:cheers:

... there's sooo much more information on here rather than people just feeling sorry for themselves ...

Hey, this is a house party, not a pity party (though we can commiserate when needed too)! :mrt:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom