newbie with a confession :D

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hey im grace

ok first off my confession :D i have been registered for over a year, but chose not to post or really take any sort of involvement in this online community, because i had this idea in my head that if i did then i was labelling myself a victim. when i decided to get over it and realised that maybe talking to people that understand alot of what i go through, might help me,i started posting and replying.that was approximatly .5 seconds ago :D.

so who am i and whats my story, well im 20 and i had my first seizure when i was 14, the seizure was a result of an eating disorder i had hidden quite well up until the fact. i had all "those" tests that recognise that my brain is not too big for my head :p and i decided against drugs when it came time to decide a course of action. so i spent the next two years hopping from one homeopath to the next. when i got to sixteen, i had had enough, i wanted a "normal" teenage life, i wanted to drive, go to concerts, drink etc etc so i opted for drugs, got put onto epillim and have been on it ever since.my dosage has upped over the years and some things have changed, but the seizures havent ceased.

i now recognise that the main cause for my seizures are stress...any kind, physical , mental and especially emotional. as like most of you i experience the pre seizure de je vu, i take that as my warning sign, once that happens there are only two options, lie down , breathe deep and prevent a seizure, or collapse into a grand mal. i have had countless seizures wayy to many to remember and in some of the most innappropriate and unusual places you can think of. and i guess at the time i would get upset or depressed...

but my approach these days is a bit different, ive had epilepsy for a while, it dosnt seem to be going anywhere :) so i deal with it, epilepsy dosnt change my personality and it certainly dosnt stop me from doing anything i want to do, its just a challenge :)

hope i can help sum of u out wen ur in that lonely place and vice versa

Nice to have you back. You'll find this a very supportive and helpful community. And fun too!

Hi Grace, Welcome.
What a graceful, open and honest introduction.

My daughters seizures began when she was 14 as well. She is 16 now. Being a silent member of CWE you probably know some of her story, but she too wants to have a "normal" teenage life. We tried four meds, and now have made the choice to be med free. She, like you, might one day try them again. That will be her choice.

I hope we can be a support for you as well. I am glad that you made the decision to pull your chair up to the table. I believe you will enjoy the company.

Hi Graceyface!!

I have to tell you I particularly love your name. We have a Graceface too. It is her middle name and she's almost 14. She's also Gracielouwho! Anyways, glad you're here!! Still!! : ))

Michelle

Hi Grace - it's a delight to hear from someone as strong and solid as you seem to be now. WOW. Welcome :)

Hi Grace, thanks for taking the next step. It's nice to meet you. :)

A lot of folks join the forum to seek feedback about things they are experiencing. Some eventually find out that they do not, in fact, have epilepsy. It doesn't matter either way. Everyone is welcome here whether they have epilepsy or not.

Hi GraceyFace!

Cute name! Nice to see you step up, and start posting......it's really pretty fun. Enjoy!

Welcome Back Grace!

Call it déjà vu, I had a reason why to summon
for you! And glad you responded back!

;)

You've taken the big giant step forward and
that's quite a big accomplishment indeed and
don't stop either - you've got the whole life
in your hands and you can learn to say "I have
Epilepsy but Epilepsy doesn't have me!" right
in its face!

So c'mon in and feet's allowed on the tables
here! And browse around, who knows, You