Newbie on the Forum

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JoeB

New
Reaction score
Don't have epilepsy but a friend, who underwent brain surgery 30 years ago, can experience a seizure if she looks at a computer screen. This is caused by the stroboscopic effect (presumably the scan rate) of the computer screen and I'm hoping I can get advice on how she can deal with this.

She can tolerate regular and HI DEF TV screens but not a computer screen. So I joined the forum thinking that maybe that issue has been discussed and I can learn a way she could take whatever steps are necessary to be able to look at a computer screen

Welcome

There's a lot of people here who are just relatives of those with epilepsy & a lot who have photosensitive epilepsy. What a lot of people have recommended is wearing the blue polarized glasses.

Hi JoeB,
Because computer screens can be a trigger for me as well, I limit my time on the computer and at least one day a week don't turn it on at all! I also use a monitor glare screen on it. You can find them relatively inexpensively at most electronic stores.

Peaceful Hugs,
Rose

Rose, does the glare screen make a noticable difference? Right now my wife can't tolerate looking at a computer screen for more than a few minutes. She uses WebTV which is a seperate CPU connected to a conventional TV. Problem is, it is very limited.

Thanks

Welcome JoeB, you will learn a lot here. I do the same as epileric.

I wear polarized sunglasses. They work. Try it. Make sure they are polarized.

Rose, does the glare screen make a noticable difference? Right now my wife can't tolerate looking at a computer screen for more than a few minutes. She uses WebTV which is a seperate CPU connected to a conventional TV. Problem is, it is very limited.

Thanks

For me it does. I started out using polarized sunglasses with it (not the amber colored but the darker ones) Then was slowly able to graduate to just using the glare screen alone. And again, limiting my time to no more than 15 minutes at a time with half an hour to an hour break between sessions.

Peaceful Hugs,
Rose

Welcome JoeB. Yes, the computer bothers me some. i am photosentive

and the computer trigger my seizures. I do use a Monitor glare screen ( mine

is a green tint). I can be on the computer for so long, then i have to go away

from it/ Then later i can come back. My light on my regular screen is down as

low as it can go.

Hi JoeB

Glad to have you aboard.
My husband and son are my caregivers. They just take care of me and make sure I do not do anything that would harm me. I went to a support group for caregivers and asked a lot of questions.

Thanks all. I printed out the details of the irlen method and will show it to my wife as soon as I get home. Be great if that works.

Hi JoeB! Welcome to CWE. :) Several of us here are to some degree photosensitive. For me, it's flickering lights (like strobe lights) and some of the flashing light effects on TV or in movies. For others it's the lightbulbs used by Walmart and other commercial buildings, and yet for others, it can be triggered by looking at repeating patterns like the sun through trees or chessboards. My doc is hesitant to sy that I am definitely photosensitive. But I kind of figure it's like being pregnant. There's no such thing as being just a little bit pregnant. You know what I mean? :) As for the photosensitivity, I think the host Bernard has mentioned overlays you can get for computer screens. You'll have to ask him. His name's Bernard. Otherwise, I'd recommend getting blue polarized lens glasses. Just see your eye doctor. They have a blue glass that is polarized, not just a blue tinting added to a standard lens. People have said that it REALLY cut down the number of seizures. So check it out. Anyway, good luck, and remember, you're not alone. :)

Hi Robin

Thank you for showing me the Irlen method. I put a bookmark on it.

I had the same issue with computers i wouldnt go into seizures instantly but anyway what i did was simply turned the brightness and contrast way down i meen if im on the computer for to long and my eyes start to get watery or i start getting an aura i know to do something else.

Hi DRichard

Welcome to our forum. Lovingly called CWE. You will make many friends here. You will get a lot of support here, I have.

I did not think of turning down the brightness and contrast. Thank you for the information. I reallly need any information about brightness. I also use polarized sunglasses. That helps. I like the colors Bernard (Our Host) has put in here. They are soft and easy on my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom