newbie here overmedicated i think

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There's many different things which could point to being over-medicated but unfortunately they can be very similar to side effects of medication or even effects of seizures.

Have you been on your meds a long time? Which meds and dosages are you on?

Edit - i see from your profile that you've just switched to Keppra. If it was quite recently you could still be getting used to side effects, but perhaps a talk with your neurologist would help.

Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to CWE. As Lou said sometimes it can sometimes take a little while to get used to the medication changes but if you have any concerns speaking to your neurologist might be a good idea.

In your profile you say you are on Dilantin & now on Keppra. Is the Keppra replacing the Dilantin or is it an add on med?
Whenever I've had a med change I've always allowed at less the 1st 2 weeks to expect any side effects from the med change.

Hi cheryl, welcome!

Your medications should have come with a printout listing side effects. If your side effects are in the "serious" category, call your neurologist ASAP to let him know. If you're not sure, go ahead and call your neurologist anyway.

Best,
Nakamova

i was on dilantin for 25 years but it stopped working about a year ago then i lost my job and my son deployed and it was terrible he put me on keppra/oxcarzapenine or something like that but then other things happened and my neuro bumped me up to 1800 a day and somehow now i feel dum as a box of rocks i have no memory of things i should im not that old

Keppra is one kind of med. Oxcarbazepine (also known as Trileptal) is another. They can both make you potentially sleepy or dopey. If you're not happy on your med (whichever one it is), the main things it talk to your neurologist about what your options. The easiest thing would be to lower your dose slightly to see if that helps -- as long as that doesn't mess with your seizure control. If that doesn't work, then there are other meds to try that might have fewer cognitive side effects.

Back
Top Bottom