Nosebleeds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

montse

New
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question, has any of you had nosebleeds? I mean, "more than normal".
Which drug were you taking while? Thanks very much.

Hi montse,
I can tell you that my son has never had any nose bleeds that have to do with his meds/seizures. Only nose bleed was when he got hit in the nose in a H.S. Basketball game.
Marian

Thank you, I asked that becuase I know a child 8 years old who is having nosebleed "more than normal" and many times doctors have not a good answer, so I ask people who are taking AEDS and perhaps have noticed it.
She is taking Lamictal.

my wife had some nosebleeds. not due to medication. she has an endocrine system problem and it caused dryness including skin, eyes, sinus, mouth (especially at night). Dr prescribed Metformin which helps somewhat.

Check for being anemic.Whenever I had bleeding problems it was because the AEDS made me anemic.

Riva

PS: if your anemic use a tablespoon of molasses every day will stop the anemia.

Thank you positiveperson, I will tell my friend about this posibility, its her daughter 8 years old.
Some time ago I kew about people who had nosebleeding with topamax, because of dryness in their skin.

monts,

Re: nosebleeds and internal bleeding:

You better check with your doc before taking any cold medications because I was told (and experienced myself) internal bleeding or nose bleeds from most headache meds exept Tylonol. That's the only one that I can take that doesn't react to my seizure meds.

I can't take aspirin, IB Profen, Advil, Exederin or Motrin, just Tylonol.

I took 2 Advil once by mistake and had massive nose bleeds that wouldn't stop. At the time I didn't think it had anything to do with the meds then it happened again just a couple of days before I had to see my neurologist. I happened to mention this to him and he was very concerned and said that I was lucky that I didn't bleed out through my stomach.

This is more of a problem in my case because I also take meds for my ulcerative colitis.

If you are taking an anti-seizure medication, you should definately not take any cold or flu medications that contain DECONGESTANT or it can have a negative reaction.

Regards

Randy

Hello, I have a question, has any of you had nosebleeds? I mean, "more than normal".
Which drug were you taking while? Thanks very much.

I do not know of any individuals who have
posted on the forums/threads/bulletins who
have experienced nose-bleeds as a result of
AED's.

If you are experiencing this; please consult
your Neurologist / Epileptologist or whoever
is treating you.

In general, as RanMan posted, many of the
AED's, you're not supposed to take Aspirin,
Cold Meds, or some of the Over-The-Counter
(OTC) Meds when you're on AED's without
consulting your Doctor first.

If you're really bleeding and the bleeding does
not stop, even with your head tilted back and
you've followed the first aid procedures in
handling nose-bleeds. GO TO THE EMERGENCY
ROOM!

Thanks to everybody, it is not my case, it is the daughter of a friens who is 8 years old.
I never take aspirine, my neurologist told me many years ago, but it was when I was on Depakine.
I never had that kind of problems, only with Lamictal I became very irritable and angry for everythijng, the whole day bad humored:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom