Opinions Wanted!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi All, I thought I'd give everyone a quick rundown of my situation and see if anyone had any thoughts on treatments (especially of alternative treatments might be worth looking into).

I had my first 2 seizures when I was 17 (I am now 38 years old). I have been pretty lucky in that I've never had a really bad problem, just a seizure here or there and I've always had auras as a warning. In the 20 years I've dealt with this, I think I've had 7 total seizures (auras that actually generalized).

My most recent seizure was Feb. 7th. Prior to that, my last aura was 3 1/2 years ago and my last fully generalized seizure was over 7 years ago. I took Dilantin for 17 years and discovered that I had some bone loss, so we decided to get off that drug. I was also taking Neurontin as well. My Dr. wanted to put me on Lamictal to replace the Dilantin, but since it had been so long since I had any problem I balked at that (because I hate the drugs) and we just tapered off the Dilantin.

After that ended, I went a year taking only 600mg's of Neurontin per day, and I had no epileptic events during that year, until Feb. 7th. From my perspective, I feel like I have shown that I don't have a horrible problem (I dont have seizures every day, or even every week or month) and while I recognize that I have had a seizure and that I need to do something I don't want to let my Dr. overreact and drug me to death over a problem that doesn't affect me every day.

My Dr. responded to this latest episode by putting me on Keppra. I am on 250mg twice a day, and he wants to bump it up to 500mg twice a day. I am still taking the Neurontin too. The Dr said that if all goes well, perhaps we can get rid of the Neurontin (which I would like because I hate drugs and I feel like I've had some sexual side effects from it).

My question is this: If I go up to 1000mgs a day of Keppra, does that sound like overkill based on my situation? Or does that sound doable? I feel like my Dr. wont consider any alternatives except prescription meds. Given how few times I actually have a seizure, does anyone have any alternatives that they think I should try? Or maybe the name of a Dr. in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that is open to other ways of doing things?

I just dont want to ruin the quality of my life and feel doped up everyday, especially when my seizure problem isn't something that affects me everyday.

Any advice is appreciated and please forgive the length of this post.

-D

Hi Dignan:)

Welcome to CWE!

I'm sure there will be others on this site who can give you more information on alternative treatments - I just wanted to reassure you concerning Keppra. 1000mg/day isn't that high a dose, especially if you are taken off the Neurontin. When I was on 1000mg's of Keppra, I had absolutely no side-effects. I know everyone is different, but I think the negative side-effects you read about are usually with higher doses. I'm on 1500 mg's now and only have sleepiness and some slight concentration issues.

All the best!

Hi Dignan --

Perhaps you could try neurofeedback. It has helped some people reduce their seizures and/or medicine dosages. Only catch is that it is rarely covered by insurance.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update. I saw my Neuro today and he wants to up my Keppra dosage to 500mgs 2x a day. As a result, we are going to try and taper off of the Neurontin. (I've been taking 300mg 2x a day).

I've experienced constant sleepiness and sometimes an inability to focus along with some unsteadiness since I added Keppra to the Neurontin. My neurologist thinks it might be the Neurontin and wants me to drop one of the 300mg pills for a week and if all goes well drop the other one too.

Does that sound like an appropriate taper off schedule, or is it too much too fast? Also, if Neurontin is to blame for the effects and libido issues I've had, how long after it is discontinued should I wait to see some improvement?

Also, I mentioned Neurofeedback to him and he claimed that there was no documentation that supported it as effective for epilepsy. He knew a few docs in the area that did it, and said it could be helpful for brain injury but that he hadn't heard it making much difference for those with epilepsy...

Actually, there

ARE patients with E that have had success with it. If you check out RobinN's signature, there's a thread about her daughter--Rebecca, and her experience with it.

I've put a link to the thread here for you.

Neurofeedback-Rebecca's Story

There are plenty of banner ads that you'll see here for NF practitioners all over the world, so obviously it is used, with results.

Go, take the time to read the thread. Perhaps it will help you. :)

I've already read the thread. I was just relaying what my neuro said.

Anyone have anything to add on Neurontin taper schedule?

Officially you can taper off of neurontin relatively quickly. You can reduce your dosage by 100-300mg a day, every two days. But slower never hurts, so I think your neuro's instructions sound reasonable. I've found it's helpful to hang out for at least a few weeks at each level drop before going down to the next. But that's me.

Back
Top Bottom