Out of Nowhere.....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bucking the System

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Well here I am! A 55 y/o male that has now had 3 Grand Mal Type Seizures in the past 4 months. I have never had them before nor any family history that I am aware of. After going through the normal "professional medical" process and having my cardio and neurological systems all checked and I mean an in-depth check that included all available tests it was concluded that my cardio and my neurological systems were functioning normally other than the unexplained seizures. The neurologist then proceeded to prescribe a heavy dose of Keppra two times a day for me and said I would be on some type of drugs the rest of my life. WRONG answer! Here was a doctor that could not tell me what was wrong with me after all the available tests he had to offer telling me to take mind-altering drugs with no hope in sight!

I began my own research and soon discovered that I might have been re-acting to neurotoxins in the form of heavy metals (mercury and aluminum) and excitoxins (MSG and Aspartame). I reviewed my dietary intake prior to the initial episode and those following and discovered that I had ingested heavy amounts of MSG and Aspartame. I also had a heavy metal test performed to reveal that I had high concentrations of both mercury and aluminum. I subsequently had the 5 mercury fillings removed by a qualified dentist and I stopped eating the foods with MSG and Aspartame in it.

I am taking supplements to feed my brain and body: Magnesium L-Threonate, Dimagnesium Malate, GABA, Taurine, P-5-P, Zinc, CoQ10, B Complex, and Vitamin C. These have allowed me to be healthy so far and with no seizures. My goal is to not consume any MSG or Aspartame while continuing to build my system up in a healthy way.

I am interested in others that may have similar symptoms and what they have done to not have seizures.

Hi BTS, welcome to CWE!

For many of us, medication is a necessary part of seizure control, despite the unpleasant side effects. But it also seems clear that being proactive about identifying and avoiding triggers can go a along way. Aspartame is a trigger for me too, but avoiding that is not by itself enough to prevent my seizures, and I am currently on medication.

You might be interested in this thread by RobinN about using non-medication approaches (neurofeedback and nutritional modifications) to achieve seizure control for her daughter: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f32/neurofeedback-rebeccas-story-2733/

Best,
Nakamova

I would be interested in talking with those in a similar situation as myself. If you are keen to share some thoughts then please ping me..... I do not follow the system and never will. I am also a die hard Paleo (Low Carb - High Fat) Lifestyle and Crossfit practitioner and have been for years. My biggest mistake I think was consuming processed foods that contained excitotoxins and drinking some energy drinks that had Aspartame in them.

Back
Top Bottom