over 40 simples

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Been one of the worst days. I've had over 40 simple partials since 3 am. I feel awful. Ive eaten, drank water, taken my keppra, b6, mg, and bcomplex. Im trying to rest but if I hear one noise my heart starts racing.

I started keppra three weeks ago. 1000 mg a day. By day four this same thing happened except I also had taken a zytec and a tylenol with codiene (1 pill) with my keppra so assumed it was a med reaction. I stopped it for theee days then restated in a slower fashion. I just got to day 5.5 of the full 1000 mg and again here i go.

What should i do? This time I have charted everything for ghe doc. I see her Tuesday. But am I in danger? I feel really weird and physiologically the heart racing and breathing issues are scaring me.

I've been having the same problem. Not as many as 40 but I've had as many as 20 a day.

Today's been good with only 3 and I don't think I'm having any more for the rest of the day.

I do know what it's like to feel totally out of it & confused all day from a seizure just to have another to make that feeling worse.

If nothing else you should know that you are not in any immediate danger directly because of your seizures. I am careful though when I go out & I feel really out of it to make sure I don't do silly things (like I often do) like crossing on a red because I'm looking at the green light facing the cross-street.

A neurologist once told me that if I want to fight a seizure from gaining momentum to count backwards by 2's starting at 99. It's really hard to do but focusing on something else & trying to process something cognitively does help.

Something else I do is try to slow my breathing & breathe deeper.

Last edited:
Ugh!...... That's the word I'm always looking for when on a seizure run.

Thank you too.

My hearing goes in the way that my mind would wonder for a few seconds & I'll suddenly realize I missed what someone said so I'm often saying "what?" when I'm post-ictal.

It's more trouble with being focused than any sort of actual hearing issue with me.

I dont know what post ictal means. I told my doc about the first time this happened. She said "it was a med interaction, or I was post ictal but that couldnt be because if I was post ictal I would be in the hospital".... I dont know whats happening to me. But the past few hours they have slowed way up... of course its time for my Keppra and I'm scared to death to take it. If I take it and it all starts again, should I go to ER or just wait it out? Should I skip my pm Keppra dose?

Sorry Post-ictal refers to the state someone is in after a seizure.

The postictal state is the altered state of consciousness that a person enters after experiencing a seizure. It usually lasts between 5 and 30 minutes, but sometimes longer in the case of larger or more severe seizures and is characterized by drowsiness, confusion, nausea, hypertension, headache or migraine and other disorienting symptoms. Additionally, emergence from this period is often accompanied by amnesia or other memory defects. It is during this period that the brain recovers from the trauma of the seizure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-ictal

Stopping (or skipping) your keppra is the last thing you should do.

I've been on Keppra & I know how nasty the side-effects can be but stopping it duffrnly can make the seizures much worse. Personally I'd suggest you call your neurologist & explain the situation. They would be more likely to know how to handle this situation.

Last edited:
If you can't wait until tomorrow then maybe the hospital is the next best thing (I hate going there).

I'd expect them to not really do anything except give you some Ativan (Lorazepam) but hopefully it will help.

I know someone on CWE recently told someone else that vitamin B6 can help the Keppra side-effects. Not sure if it was you they told. If not then picking some B6 up might help once it's in your system.

On the keppra side effects it says that it can cause worse seizures. These are worse, way worse, than my norm.

I am glad you posted today. Now I don't feel so alone. I too suffer multiple simples, up in the 100s per day, some evolve further. My doctor seems to think I am lying about it, especailly being able to hear things going on around me. Find and print out a list of all e. meds and do some research with a list of your symptoms. I took mine to the pc dr. and he was astounded to see my research and knowledge. I also bought a text on e. The Treatment of Epilepsy, Principles and Practice by Elaine Wyllie, MD. It is for doctors and helps me understand some of my symptoms and ask better questions about my problems.

On the keppra side effects it says that it can cause worse seizures. These are worse, way worse, than my norm.
I still don't think it's a good idea to skip a dose without telling your neurologist first, even if you have to wait until tomorrow before calling.

I'm thankful to everyone who posts. They all help so much. I will be researching. I will take my pm dose. Ugh ;(

Anyone else experience more intense and frequent seizure storms when first starting on keppra.

I am not on Keppra so I really cannot help with that.. but just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and so sorry you are having a horrible day.

Take care,
MaryK

Julie! :(
I hope you feel better soon! I know it's hard and how awful it can be, but I know you're a trooper and you'll make it through this just fine! :)
Get ahold of your doc as soon as you can, and take it easy until then. :)
My thoughts are with you, and we're all here for you!

Julie;; Oh I feel so bad for you. Maybe you should call your doctor.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom