oxcabazepine and mood swings

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bowly

New
Reaction score
hey i am on oxcabazepine and clobazm tabs..i feel very moody..

sometimes i talk non stop,sometimes i am very loud,sometimes i react harshly to small matters..

i have no interest in getting cozy with my hubby..infact i argue with him the most..sometimes he feels i react like a crazy person for routine things

i have lost my chirpy smiling nature and got all grumpy and edgy..

is there a way to stop all this reactions which is changing my basic nature..

i have tried carbamazepine and its harsher than ox cabazepine..

can someone suggest a better drug which has less sides..

I've had great success with Lamictal, supplemented with Klonopin. At its lowest dose, Lamictal is an anti-depressant. At its next level, it's an anti-seizure med and at its highest level, it's for bi-polar people. I take 400 MG in the AM because it was making me hyper at night.

In addition, I take Klonopin (an anti-anxiety, anti-seizure med) as adjuct therapy -- .05 in the AM and 1.0 in the PM

Hope this helps!

Hi, Bowly,

Welcome to CWE!

I'm on 1500mg of Trileptal.

I get irritated easily, too, and snap at my friends and family. They keep asking me, "Are you angry with me???" Trileptal can cause irritibility, as can seizures cause long term changes to your brain. The mood swings can also be hyponatremia (low sodium) which can be caused by Trileptal. So when your doctor says you need a blood test, be sure to do it. https://health.google.com/health/ref/Hyponatremia

Do you have temporal lobe epilepsy? If so, the talking on and on and on and on and on is a common trait called "stickiness." Here's a link that explains it, but I don't agree with everything that doctor says. I don't think there is a typical temporal lobe epilepsy personality. http://inman.surnameweb.org/documents/a-inman2.htm
I talked on and on before I was ever on meds, so I know mine are a result of the seizures.

Lowered sex drive can either be the meds, or a result of the seizures themselves. There are tons of posts on here about lowered sex drive, mostly from men, but I'm here to say it affects we women, too.

Sometimes it's hard to tell what's the meds, and what's due to the seizures. The seizures make permanent changes to the brain over long periods of time, so it's important to get them under control. I'm beginning to think all the meds have side effects, too, so it's kind of like choosing the right balance of seizure control and side effects. Hope this helps.

Welcome Bowly

It seems trouble with side-effects is pretty common for lots of people with epilepsy. The thing is that everyone reacts differently to all anti-epileptic drugs so I don't think anyone can really tell you what will be better for you. I know I was on 3 different ant-epileptic drugs at the same time but carbamazapine was the one that effected me the least but I wouldn't recommend it to you.

I've had great success with Lamictal, supplemented with Klonopin. At its lowest dose, Lamictal is an anti-depressant. At its next level, it's an anti-seizure med and at its highest level, it's for bi-polar people. I take 400 MG in the AM because it was making me hyper at night.

In addition, I take Klonopin (an anti-anxiety, anti-seizure med) as adjuct therapy -- .05 in the AM and 1.0 in the PM

Hope this helps!

thank you phylis..

i was suggested tegretol,levitaceram and lamictal by 3 doctors who diagnosed my case as a post infection calcification by cistico,tubercloma and dnet ..

confused, i decided not to take any medication as it was my first ever tonic colonic seizure..i continued getting partials twice or thrice a month which did not bother me..

after my second grand mall i realised that my partials get generalised and it triggers due to stress, fatigue and most importantly deprived sleep..

hence i went to a 4th doc who prescribed me trileptal 750mg as primary and clobazm 10 as secondary which is to be tapered and discontinued..

i have stopped getting the partials but i want something that reduces my sides..

besides getting hyper at night on lamictal do you have any other issues..does lamictal have addictive properties..

hey endless you are great help,as usual

is there a way to reduce the low sodium effects..have you tried lamictal..

i have tried tegretol for few days and i kept banging into things..hence i discontinued immediately..

trileptal is good for my partials but is lamictal better than trileptal..

It seems trouble with side-effects is pretty common for lots of people with epilepsy. The thing is that everyone reacts differently to all anti-epileptic drugs so I don't think anyone can really tell you what will be better for you. I know I was on 3 different ant-epileptic drugs at the same time but carbamazapine was the one that effected me the least but I wouldn't recommend it to you.

thanks epi...i was banging into things due to carbamazepine..

the sides just make you a diff person..changes ur basic nature and takes the fun out of the happiness that one provides the other..

trileptal is not a prefered drug during pregnancies anyways..did shifting from one drug to another cause any issues for you

I Didn't shift from one to another. I was on Tegretol, Primidone & valproic acid then was taken off the primindone & valproic acid. I was surprised that my seizures didn't get worse for a while but I did feel a great lessening of side-effects.

Bowly, this might sound sick, but I LOVE Lamictal. Especially after going through hell and back in the hospital, trying a zillion other meds. It was like the drug du jour trip. Buit let's not go there.

I take my Lamictal in the AM, so I don't get hyper. Some people are perfectly content taking it at night. (I guess I'm just an excitable girl!) I've been taking it since October 08 without incident, increase or side effects.

I wish the same luck for you...

Bowly, this might sound sick, but I LOVE Lamictal. Especially after going through hell and back in the hospital, trying a zillion other meds. It was like the drug du jour trip. Buit let's not go there.

I take my Lamictal in the AM, so I don't get hyper. Some people are perfectly content taking it at night. (I guess I'm just an excitable girl!) I've been taking it since October 08 without incident, increase or side effects.

I wish the same luck for you...

thank you phylis..

i am feeling positive with ur views on lamictal..i hope it suits me too..by the way i am an excitable girl too,feels my hubby..he he..

Back
Top Bottom