Pen-pal found me

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone-
Today I got an email from someone taking a medical, social and psychological aspects of disabilities class. She has asked to visit or be a pen-pal with me for a college project. (I had to take this as well when I was in college. Very good) So I said sure- it turns out, her boyfriend also has Epilepsy. She knows that I have several impairments but her main focus is on Epilepsy. We are to write or email a few weeks I believe and then she will have a final project to turn in or present. I think it will be great. We can discuss main issues regarding Epilepsy, how society views it, various aspects of this disability/condition.
I think its a great opportunity for me to share information with her that her class and teacher will be learning from her.

Education is so important. I can remember sharing some info while I was in that class about Epilepsy, Medical IDs (why they are important), medications and side effects as well as how Epilepsy can be an "invisible disability". I also was asked some questions by my classmates and it was an interesting conversation because so many people had the old way/view of Epilepsy.

I miss college hehehe.

Take care everyone
Crystal and her guide Umbro

Hi Crystal,

This is also a great opportunity for us to learn what she has to say. Please share with us the main points in each letter. I would like to know what you learn from her as well as what you teach her. This is great for the whole forum.

Sounds interesting, but I would caution everyone here not to give out personal information to anyone that contacts you out of the blue via email until you know who they are. There are a lot of sick (ie. depraved) people out there.

Hello everyone-
Today I got an email from someone taking a medical, social and psychological aspects of disabilities class. She has asked to visit or be a pen-pal with me for a college project. (I had to take this as well when I was in college. Very good) So I said sure- it turns out, her boyfriend also has Epilepsy. She knows that I have several impairments but her main focus is on Epilepsy. We are to write or email a few weeks I believe and then she will have a final project to turn in or present. I think it will be great. We can discuss main issues regarding Epilepsy, how society views it, various aspects of this disability/condition.
I think its a great opportunity for me to share information with her that her class and teacher will be learning from her.

Education is so important. I can remember sharing some info while I was in that class about Epilepsy, Medical IDs (why they are important), medications and side effects as well as how Epilepsy can be an "invisible disability". I also was asked some questions by my classmates and it was an interesting conversation because so many people had the old way/view of Epilepsy.

I miss college hehehe.

Take care everyone
Crystal and her guide Umbro
hello I'm looking for penpals with epilepsy

Hi Crystal,

I think it's wonderful how you are helping out your pen pal. I know each yr. at school I enjoy teaching students about epilepsy and what to do if a person has a seizure. I'm very surprised at all the questions the students ask me especially since they are in jr. high school but I've seen them open up a lot and it also helps the students so they aren't afraid when they see me have a seizure at school. keep up the great work. I wish you and your pen pal only the best and May God Bless You Both!

Sue

Hi Sue,

I am a secondary teacher and it amazes me how much the students are interested in learning about epilepsy. There are a few opportunities to incorporate it into the curriculum. Those lessons where I have taught it have had them engaged. They seem to respond really well when their teacher or person they are talking to has had some sort of life experience with it rather then the person who is detatched or just teaches content. It also surprises me that a very small number of students can see me having my "awake" seizures. Your kids sound fantastic :)

Dani

Back
Top Bottom