Problems with Keppra?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bion719

New
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Benign Rolandic Epilepsy when I was seven. Luckily it's supposed to wear away through puberty. I was put on Tegretol, but it caused me to stutter, so I was put on Trileptol. Three years ago I was put on Keprra as well, because Trileptol was no longer effective. I have had no noticeable social problems because of my epilepsy or medication, except for stuttering. My neurologist didn't want to take me off my medication until after college. However, a few months ago I started acting really bizarre. I completely shut my parents out of my life, and almost all of my friends, when someone touched me, I got really upset, I thought of killing myself when I wasn't even depressed, and I refused to dance with my girlfriend. My new neurologist has suggested Keppra may be the cause. I've seen countless negative stories about Keppra. Is there any fact to them, or are they exaggerated?

It's the Keppra

It's the Keppra, I m on Keppra and I was/still am suicidle,moody,irritated, and when I m on a bad mood I just want to be left alone. If I m in a bad mood I want to be left alone and will get mad I people touch me or mess with me. I also shut out my friends, family and husband. I feel that the sytomes will get better and has gotten better give it time.

I've been on Keppra for a while now and your post sums up the entire experience quite well... Honestly I don't think the stories are exaggerated, at least not too much, and they all have a lot in common with each other.

I'm curious though, did your dose of Keppra change around when you started acting strange? And if so, was it higher or lower? Also you mentioned you've been on it for three years now... have these problems always been there or is this a very recent thing?

For me, I noticed the behaviors had been there to a lesser extent (some moodiness, some anti-social tendencies, avoiding being touched), and I didn't pay much attention to them, but they became much more obvious and problematic when my dose got raised about 6 months ago.

However, a few months ago I started acting really bizarre. I completely shut my parents out of my life, and almost all of my friends, when someone touched me, I got really upset, I thought of killing myself when I wasn't even depressed, and I refused to dance with my girlfriend.

Please talk to your neuro about how Keppra is effecting you as it can/does result in bizarre behavior/anxiety in people (especially thoughts of suicide). These stories are NOT exaggerated. Some AED's are used as mood stabilizers (Tegretol, Trileptol are two of them) and some make moods/behaviors worse, as Keppra can do.

From http://www.drugs.com/sfx/keppra-side-effects.html

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Keppra:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal thoughts; dark urine; decreased coordination; extreme dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness, or weakness; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; memory loss; muscle or neck pain; new or worsening mental, mood, or behavior changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, apathy, depression, hostility, irritability, panic attacks, restlessness); new or worsening seizures; pain, itching, or redness at the injection site; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; suicidal thoughts or attempts; unusual bruising or bleeding; vision changes; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

To Silat: My Keppra was not increased recently, but my Trileptol was decreased. I'm seeing a new neurologist who thinks its very good I go off both medications. Her main thought was that decreasing the Trileptol (a mood stabilizer) could have made Keppra's effects more potent.

Back
Top Bottom