" prominent blood vessel and abnormality of a vein in my right temporal lobe..whaa?"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Samara

New
Reaction score
" prominent blood vessel and abnormality of a vein in my right temporal lobe..whaa?"

Ok so ive had an EEG and MRI scan done and have another nuerology app on the 26th , I receieved a letter from the nuerologist briefly telling me his findings on my MRI scan in which he wrote " a prominent blood vessel and abnormality of a vein in the right temporal lobe and could be a possibility of being epilepsy related however a more powerful head scan is suggested and as we do not have one in this area i am discussing with radiology about referring you for one at another hospital " now i was aware before i had some scarring on the right temporal lobe but this blood vessel thingy and vein abnormality is something i have NEVER heard of in my life ... Google has been no help to me what so ever so i was just wondering has anybody else had this ? heard of this or even knows what it is ?

I feel like im running round in circles with these people ..for 15 years as a child i was put on lamotrigine for " epilepsy" then " not epilepsy" put on lamotrigine , taken off lamotrigine now told i should NEVER have been put on lamotrigine in the first place !!! Does it ever end !!! Its scary to think these people are actually QUALIFIED to diagnose medical problems relating to the brain yet im turning 22 this year and STILL nobody really has any idea whats lurking in my temporal lobe !

Are they going to refer you for an MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram)? It's a type of MRI that provides pictures of blood vessels. If there's a bulge or a tear in the vein, that might be affecting blood flow in your brain and contributing to your symptoms. Your neuro may suspect some sort of AVM (Arteriovenous Malformations). You can read more about those here: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/avms/detail_avms.htm

Did the Lamictal help control your symptoms when you were on it as a kid? If so, that suggests that maybe you were having seizure activity. Unfortunately it can be very tough to know in hindsight. The plasticity and fragility of the brain, limitations of the available tests, and the idiosyncrasies of individual responses can make it difficult to know exactly what's going on in your noggin. Some things aren't visible when you're younger and/or change over time. I'm not excusing your docs (there are certainly incompetent ones out there), just explaining that they don't have superpowers.

I hope the next test provides the info you need to get diagnosis and treatment.

Hey thanks for your response and for the link i was taking a read through it last night , its quite interesting and ive found i can relate to parts of it so maybe it could be something related to this. Im not exactly sure yet what scan they want me to have the letter was a bit brief just saying i need a more powerful one but as there is not one locally the nuerologist is trying to find the next nearest hospital to refer me to for one.

When i was a kid lamictal worked better than anything for me it was brilliant but when i was put back on it straight away last year ( i came of it at age 15 and no meds until last year when i went back ) it sent me on a emotional rollercoaster i was a complete wreck i couldnt handle it at all it made me very depressed , moody and always in tears over nothing and paranoid then when i stopped it was back to my usual happy self.

Yeah, sometimes the meds interact with hormones (estrogen, thyroid, etc), and can mess with us in weird ways. Lamictal hasn't seemed to affect my moods, but I know it's had that side effect for other folks.

Back
Top Bottom