Question for all

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

senmon

New
Reaction score
Question for all
I had a grand mal when I was 18. I was on Dilantin for about one year then taken off it. I never thought about seizures, until 2004. I flew home from Japan, and on the flight home, drank 7 cups of coffee, and the next morning drank 2 liters of Diet Mt. Dew (heavily caffeinated) and then went to the gym to exersize, despite not having slept much since my return to the US. I worked out at the gym, and went to go visit my family. I was looking at a computer, and the next thing I remember my muscles felt heavy and I was on a stretcher. The ER discharged me immediately -- they seemed to treat seizures as not a big deal comparatively. My physician did EKG's etc, and did not put me on anything, saying there was no evidence of seizure activity. That was 5/04...The summer goes by, and in August of 04, I exercisized heavily every day, and did not eat very much, and was drinking Red Bull and other caffeinated drinks. (I was at my father's house for the summer.) One morning I woke, there was a little blood on the pillow, so I told my dad I think I have had a seizure. We went to see his MD, who gave me Dilantin. I got home and went to a neurologist, who put me on 450mg of Dilantin. I have now had 3 years (God Bless) with no seizures. I have given up alcohol, and virtually all caffeine, and try to reduce stress as much as possible.

Another doctor has recently prescribed Lexapro, 5 mg. a day, for general anxiety. I know Dilantin is a very old drug and has been well tested. Does anyone know of any adverse effects of one drug on the other? Rather than gain weight, I have lost weight on Lexapro -- I do almost no anxious overeating.

I have read horror stories about coming down off Lexapro, and since Dilantin already has gums and bones long-term effects, I am trying to judge whether it is worth staying on the Lexapro. Please advise.

Hi Senmon: All I can say is each AED has its own side effects and you and your Dr have decide whats best for you. I would definatly stay away from the cafinnated drinks and get the rest you need as well as the exericse .Have you discussed with your Dr taking vitmains along with your meds to supplement the loss? When I moved from MTL to NYC
the Dr put me on vitamins to supplement the loss from the meds.
Wishing you a sz free life
Riva

I chaperone students to Japan every May. That is my major concern. The flight is long, and the jet lag thing, etc., is stressful, plus the work hours are very long as it is Japanese culture. There is also the fear of if my meds get ruined there, how to get dilantin from the States in time...

You can take melantion on the plane for the jet lag. I don't understand how the dilantin will get ruined?????

dilantin

I am on Lexapro for anxiety--I guess the odds of the Dilantin getting ruined are small...my friend just told that post 9/11 it is very hard to get prescription meds shipped to Japan...The lexapro website says no tests have been done to see how seizure patients do on the drug...a little worrisome

Did you ask the dr? Have you checked the different web sites such as webmd.com?
Have you asked your pharmacist?????

When you travel don't you bring enough meds with you to Japen???

When I travelled when I was a teenager I brought all my meds with me. So I didn't have to worry about running out .

Riva

This is the first time I've heard of Lexapro. Medline has this info on it:
Escitalopram is in a class of antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
Also tell your doctor if you have recently had a heart attack and if you have or have ever had seizures or liver, kidney, thyroid, or heart disease.
Symptoms of overdose may include:
- seizures

Escitalopram / Laxapro

My doc gave me lex for general anxiety...I already felt disconnected...I slur words more now...my students take a little advantage in that my thinking is a little slowed down...but I know the Dilantin is protecting me...I drive very slowly, and since the seizures have avoided driving where possible

Hi there, welcome to the boards!

You can also obtain information here
too:

http://www.drugs.com/a-to-z-drug-list.html

And yes, I have heard of Lexapro - and like
Tofranil, it can be seizure inducing. And oddly
they are very similar in nature!

(My deceased father was a Pharmacist, so I'm
familiar with a lot of prescriptions)

GO and look both of them up, both are
anti-depressants and it's somewhat scary!

So to be on Dilantin and to be on Lexapro is
like putting the Dehumifier and Vaporizer in
one room and letting them fight it out!
HONEST!

Senom: Tomorrow you need to call your Dr and discuss options to the Lexapro.

Its in your own best interest .

For Dilantin, my dentist told me to brush my teeth as often as I could, due to the Dilantin levels (only at 300 mg/day). Is there something I should do for my bones and joints besides exercise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom