Questions about epilepsy, need support

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KozzyLol

New
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Kozzy. I have had two seizures in the last 4 months. The first time it happened was in April. First, I started hearing ringing in my ears and it got louder and louder. Everything started to fade to white and I completely lost consciousness, falling to the ground. I remain unconscious for 20-30 seconds before "coming out of it." We went to the clinic and I was a bit iron anemic so they gave me iron pills and called it good. It happened again recently and this time Mom called 911. They tested my blood sugar, blood pressure, pulse and iron. They said it was all fine.

I went to the clinic the next day and they scheduled the ECG and EEG. I have heart problems that run on both sides of the family so we had to rule that out. The results to the ECG were that I have Mitral valve prolapse and an arrhythmic heartbeat but that didn't lead them anywhere on why I passed out.

During the EEG, when the tech put on the strobe light, I started feeling weird. My breathing got "funny" mom said. I was feeling tingling in my feet, hands and chest. The tech turned the strobe light off and after the test was done, I sorta felt like I was "coming out of it" like after a seizure but not as intense. We got the results that I had an "abnormal study." They want me to see a neurologist, which we're waiting for an appointment to be made and probably want to put me on an epileptic medicine.

What type of seizures does it sound like I have? Does anyone have seizures similar to mine? When I go to the neurologist, what kind of tests might they do and what might happen from there?
Thanks, yall for listening! c:

Sorry to hear all this from u! Dear friend it appears to be atonic seizures. Dont worry get proper treatment and u will be all right. As far as tests are concerned EEG has been done and MRI or CT scan may be further needed. Many people out here have the same prob as u. They will definitely get to u soon. Take care!

Hi KozzyLol, welcome to CWE!

Mitral Valve Prolapse can cause fainting, so I'm surprised that your doctors didn't flag that as a contributing factor. Sometimes blood pressure/circulatory issues can be seizure triggers. Your neurologist will let you know what the EEG indicated, though it sounds like you may have photosensitive epilepsy and/or generalized seizures or atonic (drop) seizures. Write down any questions you have for your neurologist and write down the answers you get at the appointment -- and don't leave if you find any of the info confusing or unclear.

In the meantime, it's a good idea to write down everything you can remember about the seizures, including how you were feeling in the days leading up to them. And try to be proactive with your overall health -- get enough sleep, eat balanced meals, etc.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom