Questions for the Doctor

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
OK so most of you know my son Danny's story if not quick recap. He was had 6 sz dating from June 20th 2007. Going from 6 weeks apart to just recently having one on Sunday and Monday. They are focal lasting no more than 2 minutes. Currently on tegratal (sp) 17 1/2 ml a day. 5 ml morning 5 ml afternoon 7 1/2 night. He has had an EEG at the end of June and MRI at the end of July. Both showed nothing.

We have an appt Nov. 9th b/c of the more frequenticy of his szs. I will be at work until Nov 7th. What questions should I ask the doctor. I am all questioned out. I think I asked everything I know to ask. I have read so much about Danny's issues my head is spinning.

I am still a newbie with all of this. Any and all help would be great.

Thank you so very much in advance.
Ron

How long has he been on the Tegratol? Has it had any effect on his seizure activity? If he's been on it long enough to have a therapeutic dose in the blood stream for a while and the seizures have not abated any, I'd ask about weaning him from it and trying something else.

EEGs often do not show epileptiform activity even for people who have epilespy. MRIs only offer the possibility of finding abnormalities in the brain (scar tissue, etc.) and really don't tell you much about possible epileptiform activity.

There might be some other testing (QEEG, vEEG, aEEG) that offers a better understanding of what's going on inside his head.

How long has he been on the Tegratol? Has it had any effect on his seizure activity?

He has been on it sine June 28th. Started with 7 1/2 ml a day. They are getting closer. I have some MSG questions I might ask about.

Thanks Bernard

diet is a good one .... also ask your childs doctor about any alternative epilepsy treatments
has he had any test for blood sugar levels? ......

Neurofeedback, ask his neuro about it... I was surprised when my neurologist brought it up..:)

love angel

Talking about blood sugar levels... somewhere.. I think Dr Blaylock mentioned this (I just got the book so I will look it up), that the blood sugar level in the brain, as it crosses the blood brain barrier, is different than what is being monitored via the vein.

Thanks for all the help, I will not be back on this site until Monday after I leave school today. But I just wanted to say thank you.

Well the dr. went as expected. Nothing new except they now want to scare the crap out of me. They went from not telling me much about what is happening to telling me too much.

Verdict is change from Tegratol to Trilepitol, b/c the Tegratol was metablizing too quickly and the Trilepatol will not. Plus there is no weening from the Tegratol.

They also want to do a 24 hour eeg. I do not want them too, I think it is too much for him and he will not keep it on, then they will have to have him in th hospital for it. We will schedule for December b/c of my time off from school. What a way to spend the holidays.

There are worse ways to spend the holidays.

Getting some answers would be a nice present.

:hello: Ron!

Welcome back, I had my vEEG done before
the Holidays, well just right smack before
Christmas - LAST YEAR - 2006; so I know
that feeling all too well.

There is a difference between Tegretol and
Trileptal. While in the same family, Trileptal
is Tegretol with oxygen but has fewer side
effects and is more stabilized. More people
can tolerate it than Tegretol. Trileptal is a
newer formula of Tegretol.

While I cannot take either drug because I'm