Reduced meds but don't know if should

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

marika853

New
Reaction score
It'll be 3 weeks on Monday that I saw my neurologist and was approved to stop taking Keppra totally. I was a little shocked when he said totally but he's the dr. He said if "I felt better I could keep taking 500 mgs. daily, then go to 250 then stop." This really surprised me because I had heard that you can't just stop totally.
I have been on Keppra 1000 mg. daily since 2010. I haven't had an episode since 2008.
So since Monday Dec. 30 I've been taking 250 in morning and 250 at dinner. My concern is that I live alone, I take care of my 2 year old grandson during the day. I don't sleep well. I noticed this morning that my tongue was hurting. I think I've bitten myself during the night. Should I tell the dr? Or should I just continue the 500 daily? I have never had a grand mal but from reading all the posts here, it could very well happen. Do I risk my precious grandson or should I just go back to regular dosage? I haven't even told my son that I'm reducing my meds.
REALLY SCARED OF WHAT COULD HAPPEN!
M

I'd call the dr and let him know what happened.

I don't know how many epilepsy meds you are on but sometimes the drs try to get you off of some of them if you've been taking them for a long time so you don't have to take as many. If you take a few different meds he may have thought that the keppra would be a good one for you to stop taking.

He may put you back on the dosage you were on or increase one of the others? It's frustrating dealing with meds!

I only take the Keppra. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I'm having deja vu feelings, again. Just 2 during the day and (this is weird) during the night, in my dream, I was trying to figure out what day of the week it was. When I woke in the morning, I had to think. I figured it out, but it took a couple of seconds. That scared me, too!
M

Those deja vu feelings could be actually be simple partial seizures, so definitely call your dr. back and tell him if you prefer to stay on the 500 mgs. of Keppra.

I didn't sleep last night. I started back on 500mg. Keppra this morning. Will try to go with that and 250 at night. The sleeping is an issue plus have some stress from bipolar son.
Keep telling myself that worrying won't help but I guess the subconscious mind is stronger.
I won't have insurance till Feb 1st but have enough meds to get me thru. I'm calling the dr. on Tuesday.
Thanks for all your input.
M

Back
Top Bottom