Running out of hope

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Ive had continous seizures the past 3 days. Including at work....again. I am scheluded to go for an VEEG beginning Jan.3 for up to one week. I have tried sooooo many medications already. I dont know what to do anymore. I am really starting to feel helpless , hopeless, and useless. This epilepsy is really starting to drive me crazy and now Im thinking maybe people would be better off without me around. Surgery is my last option. I need help. I am losing my hope.

Last edited:
Welcome freespirited101a

Every now & then I go through spurts like you described where my seizures will be constant. The first time it happened I was a teenager & I'd have a lighter but longer than normal seizure lasting between 2-5 minutes, then stop for 3-10 minutes than start again. This went on for 3 days & 3 nights.

I would never suggest you do what I did to stop them(I smoked some pot) but you might want to research some alternative treatments. Some have been known to be very helpful.

Hi Freespirited & Welcome.

I understand how you feel. I had epilepsy since I was a year old, although it went into remission while I was in school, only to start again with different types of seizures when I started college. I didn't even know I had epilepsy. My mother never told me about the childhood seizures until recently. Then 15 years ago I was seeing a neuro/psych for bipolar & I guess something I said to him made him decided to run an eeg. He told me I had a seizure disorder, but never explained it. He tried a number of meds, but I had bad reactions to most of them, or they simply didn't work. He ran 2 more EEG's over the next 12 years & they always showed active seizures. I had to change doctors, but since my 1st one didn't say anything about the seriousness of the seizures, I didn't think anymore about them. I lost my insurance for a while & weaned off my seizure med. Within a year, I started feeling like I was being shocked all over & when I would lay down at night, I would get very rigid & felt like my body would explode. My family doc thought it was muscle spasms, gave me relaxants that didn't work. About a year went by & more strange things started happening & she said she thought I was having seizures & sent me to a new neuro/psych. At first he didn't believe me, even when I told him my history, but another EEG confirmed very active seizure activity. He's spent the last 6 months trying to get me stablized with meds & I'm still having seizures. I'm currently taking Vimpat (which he just increased 3 weeks ago) & Valium. He put me on Klonopin, which I'd been on before, but had to stop, but I couldn't remember why. I ended up reacting to it in less than a week & it was stopped immediately.

Vimpat & Valium are the only AED's I've been able to tolerate, but they are not controlling the seizures. I have 5 types of seizures. Thankfully I don't have grand mal any more - I did as a child - but I also realize that uncontrolled seizures could progress to that again. We have not discussed surgery. A Vegus Nerve Stimulator might work for some of my seizures, but I don't know. Brain surgery is definately out since my different types of seizures affect most brain areas. But, like I said, we haven't even discussed any of that. I do know my doc is frustrated with my med problems, but he's trying what he can.

Just don't give up hope. New meds are always coming out. I understand that hopelessness - I feel that way often. But we can't give up. When you start feeling hopeless & helpless & useless, come here. It's a great place for support. And maybe the video eeg will reveal something that will help your doctor in treating you. BTW, how long have you had epilepsy? Hang in there.

Shelia

Hi, Freespirited,

This is a tough marathon we're running. I absolutely understand how you feel. I've been through gabapentin, Keppra, Topamax, Lamictal, Trileptal, and then Lamictal again. It feels like I'll never find a drug that is effective and has tolerable side effects. I've gotta believe, though. I'm still ramping up on Lamictal, so I'm hanging tough.

Please take heart, and stay with us through all of this. We're here to listen, and to help.

If you are feeling seriously depressed, please call your neurologist NOW and tell him what you are feeling. The medications can cause depression. If that's happening to you your doctor can make it better.

<<<hugs>>>

Thank you very much for your reply and encouragement,

I know we all have to try and keep the faith but at this moment for the first time really, Im starting to feel as if Im losing any real sense of control that I might have had, real or imagined. I go into the hospital for a week of VEEG testing on Jan.3 . But right now I cant trust myself to get thru day to day.

Again , thank you very much, you be strong and get along. May the force be with you.

My daughters seizures increased while on medication. She also was beginning to lose hope. One of the meds actually increased that thought process.

Since we have been following alternatives, she has slowly gained control and is going longer and longer periods without seizure activity.

Alternative Cures

Good for her and you Robin , that is great. Keep it up. I have been looking into some alternatives. First Im going into the VEEG and see what that shows. Im actually hoping for the surgery as crazy as that sounds. Ive tried soooo many meds. They just dont work for me. I will try alternatives. Any suggestions ? Please. Thank You, Wayne.

My daughters VEEG told us nothing. The doctor didn't even schedule it during her most sensitive time of the month.

I barely considered surgery, since my daughter was strongly against it. Even though she was not 18 at that time, I would not have put her through that unless she was a part of the decision. We tried four meds with Rebecca, however with each came more seizures (yet I didnt' know it at the time, I just didn't know enough) Now looking back at the journal that I keep, she had increased seizures. More of a reason for me to push to have her taken off of them.

I really would suggest that you look into Neurofeedback prior to surgery. EEG Institute would be a good place to go for a consultation. I don't know your background, but was very helpful in starting Rebecca on her road to becoming seizure free.

First Im going into the VEEG and see what that shows. Im actually hoping for the surgery as crazy as that sounds. Ive tried soooo many meds.

From your profile, I see you had a head injury already, so wait and see what the VEEG reveals before going through any kind of brain surgery. I've had a left temporal lobectomy, tried 10 meds, had the VNS and I still have an occasional break-through seizure. I had no head injury prior to the seizures.
My seizures started when I was 23 years old, with SP, CP's, which would occur 4-5 times a day for a week. After the lobectomy, the seizures went on to more TC's which were more difficult to control. The VNS has stopped those for me, the SP's still exist, tho. Before considering any surgery, I would say look into the alternatives first. To this day, I regret having the brain surgery. :(

Wayne,

Odds are they won't do the surgery unless they get positive results - from eeg's, MRI, PET, etc. Otherwise they wouldn't know where to operate.

Hang tough, see what your test results reveal.

RObin , thank you again. Im gonna go for the Video EEG and see what happens. See if they can locate the exact source and then go from there and way the pro's vs. the possible side effects that I may be at risk to. Im happy for you and your daughter. That is great. Keep it up and thanks again,
Wayne

Back
Top Bottom