Sauna + Weightlifting not a good idea lol

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

paul_v

New
Reaction score
So I went into a dry sauna and hitting the weights and boy was that a mistake. It wasn't the intensity of the seizure but the length (thank the Lord I had my VNS magnet or it would have been a lot worse). The rough part lasted like 60 seconds at the apartment gym. I was able to walk home but I was incoherent for like an hour. I don't think I've never been out of it for so long after a seizure. So my advice...stay away from saunas lol. I think all my meds just sweated out or something or I just got too hot. I've never had an issue with lifting weights though.

Last edited:
Hi Paul-

Thank goodness you had your magnet and were able to walk home. Scary! I think you've given yourself great advice about the sauna. I've read a lot of folks say they are sensitive to hot weather and while it may have been coincidence, you just don't know. Better to be safe than sorry.

I cannot handle heat either. Saunas, hot tubs, hot showers and even summer weather can all increase my seizure activity. Exercise and weight training have not caused any problems.

Saunas and steam rooms are tough on me. They have triggered any seizures, but I feel like the intense heat can make it hard to breathe. Definitely important to hydrate before and after, and make sure you cool down afterwards before doing anything else.

Back
Top Bottom