Seizure in front of computer

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone this is my first time and here is my story:

Suffered a MTBI from cycling accident and 2nd blow to head 10 days later.
Along with the brain injury and severe whiplash, I had a inner ear inbalance, which I did a vestibular rehab program and am now fine with my equilibruim, vertigo and balance problems.
Have been diagonosed with complex partial seizures and they have been on going for the past 13- 14 months.
I am currently on Tegretol, which has been great initially, however now I am experiecing my symptons and seizures only at work sitting in front of my computer screen. My work uses a software program which continually processes information at high speed, along with the use of pop up screens. The screen is broken into 4 quadrants, and each quadrant is processing information. I am concerned my brain is getting overloaded and bringing on a seizure. Its getting very frustrating, as my life is in stop/start mode. Anybody who can give me some advice, would be greatly appreciated. Down Under Aussie keeping her chin up :)

Do you have a filter on your screen? It's like a dark piece of plastic that goes over the screen. I've found it helps me. Also the type of screen can make a difference. I have found that the worst screens for me are the old style CRT monitors and also the sony viera/bravia ones. LG are usually quite good and the newest ones that panasonic have made have been made so as not to flicker at the rate that is bad for epilepsy. Also could you talk to your boss about the posibility of either slowing down the screens/ you using a different program that doesn't affect you so badly? I know in the UK due to the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) that an employer has to provide 'reasonable adjustments' to their working practices for anyone with a disability, but I don't know what the rules are like about that in Australia.

Hi BJ, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Are you using a CRT or LCD monitor? LCD monitors cause much less eye strain and have less flicker. They are easier on the photosensitive.

I'd recommend you invesitgate EEG neurofeedback for the TBI/seizures. It can help retrain your brain to work around the scarring/damaged tissue. :twocents:

Hi Bernard,
I did not know that what kind of computer made a difference. I have a new computer and I do not know what kind it is.

I'm referring specifically to the monitor, not the computer itself. In general, CRT monitors are big, bulky things and LCD monitors are thin. In the following picture, the monitor on the left is a CRT, the one on the right is an LCD:

crt_vs_lcd_b.jpg

Laptops all use LCD screens. :)

Bailey Jane,
I use to have seizures in front of the computer but it hardly ever happens anymore.
My monitor has a glare screen built in.:woot::woot:

Belinda

Thank you Bernard for the info.

Hi Baileyjane, welcome to the forum. This is a family. It was made out of love by Bernard for his wife Stacy. You will find it a great forum.
Ruth

Back
Top Bottom