Was this a seizure or a panic attack? Please answer.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Vasoka

New
Reaction score
I was just playing a game on my pc and after forgetting what buttons do what for a while i had some sort of a confusion for some minutes and something that i don't know if seizure or panic attack, i started sweating and my body started itching all around like a hot flash, i did not shake/convulse/lose counciousness and i remember everything. Can a seizure present with such things and some confusion? I had no change in smells/ vision/ numbness, and i didn't zone out and stared like that, is it more likely to be an axiety atack? Now i have a headache in the back of my head where I usually get headaches due to stress/neck problems.

I'd also like to add that it was like a sensation of stinging passing down my arms (both side) together with the sweating, i'd also like to point out that my "confusion" was not not being aware where I am/what I'm doing, it was more like forgetting what 2 buttons do on my keyboard and then freaking out really bad. Thanks for any answers.

Most people I asked are saying it's panic attack becasue i have been very stressed lately, but i am just really worried and need to hear someone who actually has personal experience with seizures. 2 months ago I've had EEG/CT scan/MRI (without contrast) becasue i was so scared i have a brain tumor, and now all this happened and I'm reaaaally freaked out. Even if my neurologist says there is nothing of the sort and is 100% sure.

All I can say is that I've never heard of confusion being associated with panic attacks. I think it's worthwhile to see your neurologist, since there are some types of seizures that do not effect awareness, but can be associated with confusion and sensory disturbances (for example, when I have this kind of seizure, I get severe burning pain throughout my arms and legs). For me, this usually develop into a loss of awareness, but this is not always the case. So I think it's worth checking out.

As jemsister mentions, there are seizures called simple partials that feature autonomic changes (tingling, flushing, changes in heart rate, etc.). But distinguishing these seizures from anxiety attacks can be tricky. Make a note of them, and if they happen again, get in touch with the doc.

You might also take a good look at ways to de-stress your life and moderate any behaviors that you could be affecting your health. How long do you spend playing video games? Sometimes overdoing it on the computer can stress your system and cause unusual symptoms.

I agree with Nakamova. Note it down, and see if they happen again. I would run this by your neurologist to make sure they know of it.

Thanks, I did tell this to my neuro, he told me it's nothing like that and to go out and have a walk, becasue I sit a lot on the pc and he says it's causing most of my symptoms, becasue 2 months ago I've had a clean EEG/CT scan and MRI, without contrast, although i was told tumors etc would be seen without contrast as well. Thanks for answers.

Back
Top Bottom