Should I go off Keppra and take Lamictal?????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lamictal and Keppra

Eve, I would say try the Lamictal and the slow process is best. Years ago I was on Lamictal (I was always told to take the brand name and not the generic) and some of my side effects were:

NO RASH (I had to put that one in first)
Hair loss (from all over, unlike Keppra I ended up with bald patches - this was my biggest complaint)
Vivid Nightmares (annoying but tolerable)
Insomnia (was O.K. with it for awhile since it was a nice welcome from the zombie state that Dilantin caused, but eventually it became a problem)
Extra Saliva (annoying but tolerable...I just made a lot of slurping noises to gather all the spit to swallow it...Yes, sounds gross but it sounds worse than it is and no one noticed except for the little slurpy noises and it didn't effect my speech at all)
Weight loss (Always a nice welcome, but eventually problematic)

My neuro took me off Lamictal early after RTL (1 year rather than 2) due to the insomnia and weight loss. HOWEVER, you may do just fine with it and I did for 6 months and it wasn't until after surgery did I have a problem and perhaps something changed due to the surgery. It just didn't control my seizures 100%, but then again nothing did. Unfortunately it's trial and error and you'll only know what works best for you once you try it. Keep in mind that you can always CHANGE to something else if you hate the Lamictal. ONE MORE THING...it took a good 2 months (every day getting better) after stopping the Keppra for my side effects to end. So, if you're still itchy one week don't rule out the Keppra.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi Eve --

My seizures are tonic-clonics. They respond well to meds -- there's never been an issue with getting seizure control with the 3 different meds I've tried. I've switched from Dilantin to Zonegran and now to Lamictal because of different side effects. As you can tell by reading this entire thread, each person has a unique experience with Lamictal. Some lose weight, some gain weight. Some lose hair, some don't. Some of the side effects hang around, some go away over time. I think you should give Lamictal a chance, pay attention to how you're feeling on it. Check in with your doctor (and here) if you have questions about it.

Thanks Guys for all your help. It's 1 AM and I can't sleep I started on 50 mg of Lacimtal today. I didnt get the starter package that some of you talked about in the other thread. It seems like I am starting off with twice as much as some of you. I am taking 25 mg twice a day. And now I cant sleep and I am itching even more. Maybe I will stop itching once I get off the Keppra altogether in 2 months??:crying:

I really hate going through the process of switching meds:roflmao:

Buckeye thanks I read your old thread. I was born and raised in Columbus, went to OSU and then moved south in 1995. Must have gone to at least 100 games throughout the 25 years I lived there. I still follow the football. Just thinking about maybe I should make those peanut butter chocolate Buckeyes, the kids love them. I am just worried though cause it seems I am staring on more Lamcital than some of you I am doing 50 mg a day for the first 2 weeks and then after 6 weeks I am supposed to be up to 150 mg a day and all this along with my 1500 mg Keppra. It just seems like alot with the simple or complex partial nocturnal seizures I have. :ponder:

I did seem to have more energy today. But now I cant sleep. And it's 1 AM ! I did go off the Zoloft though,maybe that is part of the problem.

Nak it is amazing to me how everyone responds differently to all these meds it's hard to make a decision about trying a new med.:ponder::dontknow:

Glad to hear you got no rash Kal. If I get one I am going off the Lamcital, My skin is already itching and so far it doesn't seem to be coming from the zoloft cause I went off of it. The Dr says it might be the Keppra but he doesn't know. Well with the Keppra my hair has gotten thinner and I went to the Beauty Parlor last week and it still looks thinner. If I get a bald patch on the Lamcital I am going off the drug. I have always had vivid dreams so it is no big deal. But I hope this isomnia goes away. I took a valium and I am still not sleepy. Are you saying it may take me going completely off the Keppra for the itching to go away?

My doctor is not great for explaining any potential side effects.:paperbag:

Are there any good seizure drugs?? This whole thing is stressing me out. I think I'll go have some yogurt and try to go back to sleep in another hour.:e:

Are you saying it may take me going completely off the Keppra for the itching to go away?

Eve, yes it's possible. I know for me it took a good full 2 months for my hair to stop falling out once I went off Keppra (I didn't wean onto anything, so I know it was the Keppra still in my system). The dermatologist who gave me the steriod shot stated, "You have to give your body a good full 2 months for the side effects to stop". Although the Keppra is out of your system, there may be traces left or simply your body trying to readjust.

The insomnia you're having is a side effect of Lamictal, no doubt in my mind as I suffered with insomnia until I was finally taken off and my doctor finally agreed that it is a side effect. However, give it some time and see if that subsides since you just started it. For temporary assistance Tylenol pm is beneficial for the insomnia and according to my doctor safe to take (I took it for a while and had no problems, but of course you need to check with your doctor).

Eve, I know it's hard as I too am sensitive to side effects but keep in mind that you can always try something else. YES, it's horrible switching up but like my neuro told me, "Yes, it sucks and may take time, but we WILL find the drug that suits you best."

GOOD LUCK

Well I tried the Lamcital and I did not like it. Not only did it make me itch more but it gave me insomnia. Although I liked the idea that it gave me more energy during the day .............. I don't like having that much energy all night long . I spent nights unable to sleep. Also one day I noticed a couple small blisters on my right forearm so I immediately stopped the Lamcital.8)

So now I am back on Keppra 1500 mg. I went off the Zoloft and that seemed to help with the lessening of the itching a little. Now the Dr has me on 50 mg of Pristiq, so far that is working out better and it has fewer side effects than the Zoloft.:roll:

I am also taking 100 mg of the B6 and 1000 mcg of Biotin and a Cal/Mag and Vit D3 supplemnt which seems to help some.:girl:

YES, it's horrible switching up but like my neuro told me, "Yes, it sucks and may take time, but we WILL find the drug that suits you best."

KelVarQ - I think I'm in love with your neurologist :) Now that I know that someone like that is out there, I'll keep looking for another one. I can't stand it when my neurologist tells me my dose isn't high enough for side effects:evil:

Meet another

NATIVE Buckeye, although I am a (Purdue) Boilermaker grad. LOL.

I'm currently on Lamictal for the 2d time, and am liking it quite a bit. The doctor took a VERY long time to get me to where I am--I've been having some issues over the last year, and trying to balance them, and my E has been a royal pain in the ARSE. (Example: the last time they checked my meds, NONE of them showed up in my blood, except the Carbatrol, even though I had been taking them all on time!)

I'm currently on 75 mg morning and evening of Lamictal. That in combination with the Carbatrol, gives me EXCELLENT control. Topomax & Klonopin are in there, too, but just as minor aids, if you will. Topomax is being used more to TRY to control my migraines, and it does help with seizures, too. Klonopin is aimed at my myoclonic seizures....and works well.

I've had NO issues with the rash, either time I've been on Lamictal. But, that was one of the reasons why he took so long to put me back on....I'd had a reaction to Keppra, a VERY WEIRD one, on top of everything else. I have had some sight issues, BUT my prescription has also changed, so whether or not that's related to Lamictal is debatable.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure everything will be just peachy. :bigsmile:

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

Meetz.........from one real Buckeye to a native Buckeye converted over to Purdue ----------------ah well win some lose some.....................:razz2:
Did you see the Nittany Lions Sweat?:clap: I say it is time for to make some more Buckeye Candy.:roflmao:

I had an issue with the Carbatrol. I had taken it for years with no problem just the abnormal ratings in my liver enzyme tests.

Lamcital didn't work for me. It seemed like I itched more with the Lamictal it made my skin feel more sensitive. Changing meds is a real PITA and I just didn't want to deal with it again. Between the insomnia and 2 little blisters on ,my right forearm I say it was time to go back to the Keppra. I also take Maxalt for my migraines and it works great. Only problem is my insurance Co only allows me 4 pills a month. The insurance company says I should have only 4 migraines a month. The doctor has allowed me 10 pills a month. If I try to get extra pills when I run out of the four the drugstore charges me $22 a pill. And the Maxalt has been the only thing that has ever worked for my migraines. You just place it under your tongue and the migraine is over in less than 30 minutes. I get between 6 and 8 migraines a month on average and the Doctor said that it is related to my seizure problem.

Lololol

:pfft::pfft: Hey, what can I say? Boilermaker blood runs in my family. (Thanks Gam!! :bigmouth:)

Now, I could easily go for some of that Buckeye Candy, and it sounds quite tempting at the moment...... Hmmm. Maybe I should ponder that idea....:ponder::ponder:

Sorry to hear that Lamictal didn't work out for ya. That's a bummer deal. :paperbag::paperbag: I honestly think that insurance companies are nutcases. FOUR PILLS A MONTH?? PLEASE!!! Get a GRIP!! Granted, mine only allows me NINE of my Imitrex (brand name), but STILL. Four is RIDICULOUS. I wish you luck with that.......

Take care!!!!

Meetz--the NATIVE Buckeye & Boilermaker Grad! LOL
:rock:

If you MUST try to wean yourself from one Rx to another, please try & do so under a dr.'s supervision. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in the thread. If you're doing so, then please disregard this suggestion.

Cint outlined the side effects for you to consider, but your pharmacist is more qualified to properly advise you whether ot not to discontinue the Rx and mention this fact to your neurologist & GP (pharmacists' opinion(s) ). They can tell the dr. if a Rx will interact negatively with anything else you're taking. It's their business to know this!

Pharmacists and

doctors have the same access to interaction information....the pharmacists just use it more often, and on a daily basis. I've seen my neuro use it, and my other docs as well, both in book form as well as computer database, too.

Eve did mention her neuro and the titration in the first post of the thread, I think....something about him thinking her problems were weird, but that they'd do the Zoloft first, or something like that......I might be wrong.....

Eve, do you have pets that jump on your bed? I do. I had to get a mattress cover that was waterproof, train my dog to stay off the bed 'cause she had mites, and it felt great afterward. She frequently got a bath, too. I had no change in meds when I did that one. There are all kinds of seasonal changes right now with leaves on the ground, mold, mildew, temperature changes and cold weather. It could be mites, or a seasonal allergy.

BTW, I've had excellent results with Mysoline and Lamictal. Mucho expensive, but I take brand name only. It took a while to get accustomed to both drugs. I had to gradually go on both meds. It was horrendous at first, but I am feeling great now. Complete control. A perfect score. I'm simply not a morning person. Never was..never will be.

Aliven yeah I have a cat that sometimes jumps on the bed and I am trying harder to keep him off, he's a stubborn cat with a mind of his own. I also have dust mite covers on my bed. Mysoline? Not heard of that one. I'll have to look it up.:ponder:

I think going off the Zoloft relieved my itching just a little. The new anti depressant'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Pristiq that I am taking seems to have fewer side effects but it doesn't seem to work as well with the panic attacks as the zoloft did. I think the Pristq gives me fewer migraines though, so that is good. But maybe its too soon to tell I have only been on it barely a week.;)

My neuro doesn't seem to keep up that much with drug interactions and side effects. It seems as though I always have to look it up on the internet. The pharmacist helps a little but always tells me to go talk to the Neuro and then the Neuro always tells me that my side effects are "weird." And no I cant go to another Neuro, he is actually the best one here. The other neuros are terrible.:rolleyes:

I gave up on the Lamicital. I itched more and it gave me isomnia and 2 little blisters on my right forearm. So I am back on the Keppra. I still have spasms in my legs.:einstein:

I see the Neuro again at the end of the month so we will see what he says.................:doctor:

Last edited:
Meetz you are lucky to get 9 pills a month. The insurance co says I can only have 4 a month. But on average I get 6 to 8 migraines a month. Any extra pills I need after I have used up the four are 22 dollars a month. However the Dr says I can have 12 pills a month but the Ins Co does not agree with the Dr.

I may try an overseas online pharmacy to supplement my Maxalt Migraine supply.

ayyyyyye, maybe

but we're talking TOTALLY different meds, too, darlin'......

wow you guys all seem to have the opposite to me!
i'm about to start on keppra tonight after 2 years of my epilepsy continueing to get worse on higher and higher doses of lamictal ;o

i wish you all the best of luck with it but i can safely say the only side effects i occured was a bit of drowsiness in the 2 years :3

I had the insomnia on the Lamictal, but only for about 3 months. After that my sleep settled down. But I'm on a fairly low dose (200mg/day) so that probably helps.

Has anyone ever experienced a cramping of the muscles below your knees once you started taking Keppra? That was the first thing I noticed once I was put on keppra. I get charley horses at times.

Epileric, mysoline is a stronger form of phenobarbitol. It has many of the same side effects as phenobarbitol and I had to be taken off it b/c of the hyper-activity it caused me, only after finding out about it after being on it for more than 20 yrs.!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom