Sleep deprived eeg

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.j.

New
Reaction score
Hi ,
I've had my sleep dep eeg yesterday.The technician said my original eeg showed something and the reason for a sleep dep eeg was that it would increase the chance of picking up abnormal activity.This was the case so now I have to wait to see the doctor for the results.I had a sz the day before my test so could this have shown on the test. I don't take any medication at the moment so I will have to see what the doctor says.
One good thing from staying up all night is I now have tidy cupboards.
Janet

Hi Janet

EEG's only show what is currently happening at that moment. They can't show past seizures.
The sleep deprived EEGs usually will bring out any activity.

I was very lucky with my last one, all normal!
:brock:

Hi Bernard,
Yes I was playing racketball when I had the seizure.
Janet

Hi Birdbomb,
Thanks for your reply.Good to hear you last eeg was normal.Do you know if the activity on the eeg is normally found when not having a seizure,mine(simple partial seizure) have only happened playing racketball.
Janet

It is possible for the EEG to pick up on "epileptiform activity" when you are not having a full blown seizure, but neuros would prefer to capture a full seizure to make sure there is a corresponding spike in the EEG (some people have non-epileptic seizures [NES] where there is no unusual brain activity).

It sounds to me like a lot of these tests are hit or miss. Every test that my son has had has shown that everthing is normal except that his sinus pockets are bad. He saw an E.N.T the other day and he ordered a full sinus cavity X Rays (tomorrow). He told my son and husband that he would of had to have high fevers with the sinus infections for any seizures to occur.
Marian

High fevers can cause seizures, but so can a drop in blood oxygen levels from obstructive sleep apnea.

Sleep Apnea is going to be my next thing to check out after the sinus cavity X Rays for my son. We are looking into more things that could be aggrevating his seizures. We think we might as well rule out as much as we can on our own where we don't need the neuro. permission.
I will be speaking to my son regular doctor next week to see if he can have a sleep study done. If he O.K.'s it, what will happen if he seizes during the sleep study? Will someone be there to assisst him if needed??
Marian

If he O.K.'s it, what will happen if he seizes during the sleep study? Will someone be there to assisst him if needed??

Oh, he'll be well monitored! Besides the eeg, my study also had cameras. He will also be checked for Restless Leg Syndrome, another fun progressive disorder that robs you of sleep.

The study in my case, was run by an RN. She was the most educated in epilepsy nurse I have ever seen. Should he need medical car, it will be given. The Sleep Study Clinic I went to was attached to a major hospital, with a clear path to the ER. It's really all very painless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom