Speech impaired ??epilepsy? ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rocky

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im new to this way of communication. Im speaking on behalf of my dear brother. He suffered alot from epilepsy for 50 yrs all his life. He cannot ask for his need since the little speech he had has lost after many times he had seizures. Im not sure if thats the reason his speech is absent. But theres a reason for everything that happened. Has anyone had this experience? Lovely to meet you all beautiful people.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Hi Rocky,

Welcome to the CWE! I'm sorry to hear that your brother has had seizure for so many yrs. and has a speech problem. Speech is on the left side of a persons brain and sometimes when I have a complex partial seizure and after it's over I will have a hard time trying to speak for a few seconds and then I'm okay. Your brother should go in for a wada test if he hasn't already this will show what area of the brain a person uses for speech and memory sometimes speech is split and is on both sides of the brain this is what they found out with me before I had the surgery done to reduce my seizures. I wish you and your brother only the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Hi Rocky -- Welcome!

As Sue says, different areas of the brain can play a role in cognitive function and speech, and could be disrupted by repeated seizures. But there may be other causes as well, such as head trauma, TIA (mini-stroke), or a lesion. A visit to your brother's neuro could shed more light on what is causing his aphasia and what might be done.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom