Stomach contractions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Avril

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What a brilliant website! Hope yee don't mind me posting as I haven't actually been diagnosed with Epilepsy. Underwent a series of tests last week including an EEG and MRI Brain/Cervical scan. Three months ago my twice monthly migraines changed in nature. My GP thought it best to check out my new symptoms. These are a continuous buzzing/brain shaking sensation. One episode of a bad brain shake as I sat down to lunch which pushed me forward onto the table and was followed by a period of feeling unwell and an immense anger feeling bubbling under the surface (which is an uncharacteristic emotion for me). Also, a constant feeling of stomach contractions (which can get so bad it causes vomitting/diahorea).

The neurologist suggested my long history of migraines may have very well brought on Epilepsy. It would be great if there were other people who can relate to my experiences and I would be very happy if you shared your experiences if this is the case with me. There are one or two funny little other things going on also but I think I've burdened yee with enough for now.

Thanks so much for reading this, as I understand from reading others stories my complaints pales in comparison with others on here and their suffering.

Hi Avril, welcome to CWE!

No worries -- we're here for everyone, whether you have a definite diagnosis or not.

It is possible to have your migraines or seizures change over time. They can affected by lifestyle changes (e.g. in diet or activity), or by changing hormones/metabolism. Can you think of any particular trigger for the recent change in your symptoms?

The symptoms you describe could be simple partial seizures -- including the nausea and the rage. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_partial_seizure

It's tough to say if your migraine history "brought on" epilepsy. The two conditions dare closely-related, and some people suffer from both.

I think a history of migraines could be an indication of a lowered seizure threshold, i.e. that you might be more vulnerable to having seizures. When I was a kid I would get bad, migraine-like headaches, and as an adult I would very occasionally get a migraine aura (zigzag light patterns in my vision) without the headache. And also very rarely a jerk of my arm. But since developing grand mal seizures 12 years ago, I haven't had the aura or the jerk at all. That suggests to me that those were early warning signs, or early forms of what became a seizure disorder.

I hope you and your neuro figure out what's going on. Have you been prescribed meds to treat the newest symptoms?

Best,
Nakamova

I do not yet have diagnosed epilepsy, but along with my other epilepsy like symptoms, I also have stomac contractions. They only happen in the morning if I wake from a seizure or from shaking, and if I'm having a bad seizure phase. It is normal for me to pass stool in the morning, and like yours, the stomac contractions eventually result in me having diahrea. I also sometimes have nausea prior to a seizure - and within a seizure I may experience extreme feeling of panic. (but not rage) But since these are both emotions, it may be similar symptoms. I hope this helps, and it helps me too, to hear about other people's experiences with this. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your replay Nakamova. I really do so much appreciate it. And Malla I cried at your original entry. Keep you chin up. You'll get there. You're a special caring person and I really appreciated your reply. Good luck and go for it! Avril

Avril thank you for your kind words too, and ofcourse thank you to our moderator.... she's given me so much help already I am overwhelmed. When noone else seems to help, they certainly do in here :) Also Avril if you havent already, you can read the post: "Choking in a seizure", and since neither of us have the Epilepsy diagnosis yet - maybe you can recognize. If not, we'll stick together trying to find some answers. Hugs, Malla

Back
Top Bottom