Stress

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
You know I have had epilepsy so long that sometimes I get upset because I hear of other things being worked on, like cancer, diabetes, etc. WHY is there no one working on a cure for Epilepsy, I mean if a dabetic can takes shots once a day, why do I have to take my medication 3 times a day, 5 hours apart. Why not once a day.

Thanks,
Tino

Well, there

are new AED's being .....uh, crap, I forgot the word I wanted........discovered? on a regular basis. And I do believe that there is one that is meant to only be taken once a day...........don't quote me on that, but I think there is now.......I believe it's about 3 years off from coming out on the regular market, but I might be wrong........I can't remember where I would have read that......

Some are talking about them even being distributed via a patch system. That could be interesting.....

But you are right, there is definitely NOT enough research being done for E.

Please don't forget that NOVEMBER is EPILEPSY AWARENESS MONTH......

Take care,

Meetz
:rock:

:hello: GA photoman

Just to quote from the BLOG from the HeadStorms
in response to someone with a similar nature concern
of yours that I had replied:

Neuroscience has an extreme heavy load to carry - every research in the field - from non-invasive, invasive, to natural realms are being explored and studied upon worldwide - and this takes months and years, through a carefully studied research. For every individual is unique, for all of us are like a snowflake, no two individuals are alike, so quite an accomplishment and feat it is.

Furthermore - it's not all genetics, mitochondrial, DNA, drug and/or alcohol abuse by the parent(s), there's also chemical and drug exposures, even going all the way up to "perfect parents" with no history of any background - finding that foods that they've been eating which contained toxins of all sorts, mercury, pollution, lead, poisoning, and even common everyday foods - peanuts, MSG, and so much more to add - that could possibility harm the unborn baby or even be damaging during the conception. Then you have those who had at one time or another who had done illegal drugs or were substance abusers or were both; and it carried over to the unborn baby which resulted damages to the development.

Then there are man-made damages; in which were caused to the child/teen/adult - such as head trauma which resulted injury or injuries - ranging from a motor vehicle accident to as simple as falling off from a chair.

In addition, there are diseases and illnesses that can create further problems, especially to a child. In addition, there's cases of what was "dormant" (gone away) after the child has become matured, then later on as an adult, suddenly it returns back to haunt them.

So much more, unknown reason, from all different directions and angles, many possibilities - a huge vast field for a Neuroscience field to accomplish and tackle.

For what appears to everyone as "Slow Going", when indeed is far from the truth, for if one looked outside at night and see all the stars in the Universe, Astronomers are still finding more unaccounted for! The brain is an amazing and yet, unique, fragile, and delicate, but awesome wonder - but it must be handled with care and approached in a very special way as not to endanger anyone's lives.

It takes months and years of careful studies and researches to come up with findings and conclusions, for 1 or 2 a case does not make when there are millions out there, however when there's 300 to 400 with positive response and results, that a case makes - and further research and studies proceed in such manner, such process is done in stages until they can prove that it, itself - works, before it is ever deemed finalized.

Patience is the key, but everyone loathes Epilepsy so much - the pressure is upon the Neuroscience to 'hurry up' and 'get going', however one cannot push into the depth of the brain, the very central nervous system that runs the human body - as implied, it must be handled with extreme care!

One day, it will come ... for indeed Neuroscience has progressed so much, far more than people have realized, however, I must put the emphasis on how much load is upon their shoulders that they must carry and what I have posted is only a trivial tidbit of the vast universe that they are undergoing!

Thanks for the info, man can you imagine, having a PATCH to place on your arm once a day, that would elimate all the times I have to stop and take my medication. I even have a alarm set on my cell phone, because I have to take it 5 hours apart.

So far all is ok, no seizures!, I have a doctors appointment on the 28th of this Oct month, just to make sure I can get refills on my meds.

Talked to my doctor last time and told him "If it ain't broke" Don't try and fix it, meaning my meds were working so no need to screw around. :)

Thanks ,
Tino

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tino! Welcome to CWE. You do not know how much I agree with you. :) I wish it was as simple as wearing a medication patch...but no such luck. Let's face it, E is viewed as scary because when people think of E, they think of grand mal seizures. They don't stop to think that the person sitting next to them in a movie theater or the bus can be silently having a seizure without them being aware. Let's face it, the media's done a great job of making people think that grandmals (tonic clonics) are the only types of seizures that exist. So why invest in research that will help such a small group of people? THat's the logic they use.

Hi Tino, welcome to the forum. :hello:

The problem with AEDs is that they have to be metabolized into the blood stream to get into the brain and do their job. The liver is the body's blood cleanser and it works to remove AEDs from the system too.

There are some non-drug alternatives (see links in my signature) that you can explore that might reduce or eliminate (if you are really lucky) the need for drugs.

In time, it will come our way. I told Oprah about epilepsy month.Try sending your stories to Oprah.com.Tell them about epilepsy month.I say we nag her.

I love your "if it aint broke don't fix it " attitude.
It reminds me of the great Sir Robert Hutchison's( one of the gods of medicine)
Medical Litany

"From inability to let well alone,
from too much zeal for what is new
and contempt for what is old,
From putting knowledge befor wisdom,
science befor art, and
Cleverness before common sense,

From treating patients as cases ,
and from making the cure of the disease
more grievous than the same ,
Good lord , deliver us"

It still rings true today

my daughter takes meds just twice a day--for two of her meds--keppra and trileptal. She takes 1000 mg of depakote er. at first I was giving her 500 in am and 500 pm. Doc said it's extended release so give it her all 1000mg once a day.

Back
Top Bottom