Test Results are Back

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,

Sorry that it's been so long. The school year has started and I have 110 new knuckleheads...oops, I mean young scholars to deal with. :pfft:

Well, my MRI & EEG results are in. My husband & I met with the neurologist last Friday. He says that my EEG was normal but that doesn't mean anything. He also said that my MRI was "interesting". Apparently, I have a 5cm x 4cm void inside my skull. Inside my SKULL!!!!! AARRRGGHHH! :eek:

He says that it is an epidermoid cyst and that it is congenital. They grow very slowly and don't cause any problems until you are between 20 - 40 years old. He has put me on Lamictal and wants to see me back in 4-5 weeks. He has not seen the MRI films personally and is going on the radiologist's report for his diagnosis. He has asked me to pick up the films from the hospital and bring them to my next appointment.

Now, here is my dilemma. All of the research that my husband and I have done say that surgery is the answer to an epidermoid cyst. I really don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life if surgery will fix the problem. What do ya'll think? Does anybody else have this diagnosis?

Thanks for your help,
Heather

Could I ask "where" in your brain the cyst is? That makes an enormous amount of difference for any brain surgery.

Just the words "brain surgery" are sort of scary, right?

I am not in your positiion, but I will tell you, you have to do what suits you!!!!!!!!!

Its your life and you know how you want to live it. If you prefer an operation to meds than you can discuss that with your Dr or find one who understnads your position.
Remember its your body and your life. I will be happy to support and encourage you to do whats best for you!!!!!!!!!!

Meds have draw backs, side effects, they were off ,I got an under active thyroid from
going toxic on my meds. Nothing is easy or perfect.

Wishing you the best of luck!!!!!!!!!
((((((hugs)))))))
Riva

Hi Heather, nice to see you again.

I don't know anything about epidermoid cysts, but from what I found on the net, it appears that they are cysts of the skin (epidermis). From your description, I understood your cyst is growing inside the skull?

Hey!

Nancy,

My cyst is on the right side of my head toward the front just under the bone if I understood my Dr. correctly. I'm picking up the MRI films tomorrow & my Dr. said that the cyst was big enough for anybody to see and recognize, so I'll let you know for certain when I know. Brain surgery is a scary term. My husband and I have been referring to it as "intracranial surgery" since I don't think that they would have to actually operate on my brain because this is growing outside of it and just crowding it.

PositivePerson,

Thanks. At the moment I'm leaning toward surgery. I'm going to try to get a referral to see another neurologist for a second opinion.

Bernard,

Yes, from what my research has shown my cyst began growing prenataly when I was 3-5 weeks old. It's like I have a skin pocket inside of my skull. Gross huh?

Thanks again!
Heather

Well, I'm guessing that you are going to need to do something then if it is going to continue growing. May your pending surgery go perfectly. :noevil:

Heather:

I hope they fix you up soon! And sorry
you're having to deal with all those
knuckleheads!
:rolleyes:

Cysts under the skull and under the skin
are not unusual, and sometimes can be
treated via antibiotics or through simple
surgery depending on the size and what
the Brain Surgeon recommends. Many
times like "ovarian cysts" in women, they
will eventually break up and vanish on
their own and sometimes they won't.

Keeping my mind open about surgery too, though my daughter says "No Way!". You seem very strong and open to alternatives. Seems they are doing wonders in this area. Let us know what your decision is.
Seems that energy around the globe can do incredible things.

Heather ~ Getting a second opinion is the best thing to do, even a third one. If you decide on surgery, choosing a university hospital is a good idea.

For me, epilepsy was caused by a grade 2 oligodendroglioma tumor deep in my left temporal lobe. It was removed Feb., 2006, but seizures returned in, I think, 9 months so I had more surgery May 2007. I haven't had anything except one simple aura since then.

Brain surgery isn't easy or fun but it is not as horrible as it sounds.

Best wishes.

Radiologist's Report

Hi all!

I have gone to the hospital and retreived my MRI films. My Neuro. said they would be on a CD but they are actual films. We now have definitive proof that I do, indeed, have a brain! (scattered applause) :clap: The cyst is really big and very evident in several of the films. I also have the radiologists report. Nancy had asked me where in my brain the cyst was and I now have a real answer. I was wondering if it made any sense to any of ya'll. I need to sit down with my old anatomy books and try to figure it out.

The report reads:

"There are no comparison exams at this facility although apparently the patient has had MR & CT done at another facility." (FALSE! :huh: I have never had more than an x-ray at the dentist. Where do they get this from? :ponder:)

"Coronal, sagittal & axial sequences were performed. Diffusion, FLAIR & T2 sequences were performed. Contrast was given."

"There is a very prominent area of abnormal signal intensity, which is primarily in the anterior cranial fossa, although does extend into the middle cranial fossa on the right side. This is low in signal intensity on T1, perhaps minimally higher than CSF. It has a lobulated appearance. This is causing mass effect on the anterior horn of the right ventricle and is also elevating the right side of the optic chiasm. This extends directly cephalad to the sella and then extends off to the right. It is bright in signal intensity on T2 weighting although slightly inhomogeneous. There is no enhancement following contrast; however, it is high signal intensity on the diffusion weighted images. Brain is otherwise normal. :)D) Orbits are normal."

"IMPRESSION: THERE IS A LARGE MASS ANTERIORLY ON THE RIGHT INVOLVING BOTH THE ANTERIOR AND MIDDLE CRANIAL FOSSA. THE SIGNAL CHARACTERISTICS ARE CONSISTANT WITH AN EPIDERMOID CYST. IT MEASURES ALMOST 5CM TRANSVERSLY AND AT LEAST 4CM CRANIOCAUDALLY."

Well, there you are. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Heather

Just curious of the mention about you having test somewhere else if you say you DIDN'T...this was straightened out right? I ask only because both my wife and myself have had the lovely experience of getting OUR x-rays switched at a certain hostipal in south austin!
Be careful!...the system's not foolproof!

I too have an open mind about surgery. My son is sooooo ready to have surgery. Only if they could find the focal point. It seems that every test he's had comes back normal. Go figure. I know it can be a hit or miss but this is one time when we want the tests to find something.
Marian

MIDDLE CRANIAL FOSSA - I understand is where
the optic nerve and optic cavity is. So you have
a small cyst in that optic area, but your brain is
normal, is basically what it is stating.

So you basically had a MRI with and without
Contrast, hence the:
"Coronal, sagittal & axial sequences were
performed. Diffusion, FLAIR & T2 sequences
were performed. Contrast was given."

NOTE: I am not a Medical Doctor!
you will need to consult with your Neurologist / Epileptologist for the
exact consultation and interpretation of the results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom