Thyroid

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
My thyroid problems go back a long time - i had a hypo, hyper, then Haschimoto and now it doesn`t function at all and i am taking a big dosage of hormones. Just wonder if anyone has the same problems. Docs say there is no connection between E and thyroid but it is interesting to see how many of us have both conditions.

yes at last fellow haschimotoi.Yep gone through the lot and on the pills.i have heard B12 injections are surpose to help but in uk certain criteria is adhered to before injections even different health trusts have different ideas it all come down to cost.Two hospitals told me that I dunno all facts and figures but don't seem fair

Multivitamins

Hey, Seagull, i am taking some special kind of multivitamins that are supposed to be good for E. In Europe it is sold as "EPIVIT". but i am sure there is something of the sort in the States.
Take care, Alice

I in uk Alice have been told by one set doctors B12 injections be best injected once a month lots of countries do I think Germany one of the countries but NHS on its knees so unless b12 very low won't get it.mine was low but health authority changed goal post on what considered low

Seagull,
Have you tried sublingual B-12? It brought my numbers up without needing injections.

Where you get them.i asked chemists and they not had clue where get it.can you send me details thanks

My thyroid problems go back a long time - i had a hypo, hyper, then Haschimoto and now it doesn`t function at all and i am taking a big dosage of hormones. Just wonder if anyone has the same problems. Docs say there is no connection between E and thyroid but it is interesting to see how many of us have both conditions.

My thyroid problems go way back as do my seizures. I have a hypothyroid. However, my daughter has Hashimoto's and lost 1/2 of her thyroid and is on the highest dosage of Synthroid that her endocrinologist can go. She doesn't have E. I'm the only one in the family that has E. But the thyroid problems seem to run rampant in my family. My mother has it, both sister's have it and as mentioned, so does my daughter.

I do think there is a connection with the AEDs and the thyroid. Some of the meds can cause serious thyroid problems.

Drugs Associated With Thyroid Abnormalities

Antiepileptic = Thyroid Abnormalities (%)

Valproate = 61.5
Carbamazepine = 47.9
Phenytoin = 17

Valproate was associated with an increase in thyroid-stimulating hormone levels above 6.6 (P = .001). Carbamazepine in polytherapy significantly decreased thyroxine levels below 62.01.

So anyone with thyroid problems definitely needs to be seeing a hormone dr. (endocrinologist), too. At least let your primary care dr. know.

Last edited:
Thyroid very much family thing..I member of British thyroid association and my goodness things I learned,that where heard about B12. I was on the Meds for over active thyroid year ago but got awful skin problems.
Sometimes body just hurts all over as I guess absorbtion is at cellular level not had that for sometime but I know I would benefit from B12.

Many years ago I saw someone in myxodeamer coma something never see now.must taken her years get into that dreadful state and no going back she died.It oddest thing I seen was rare then back in late 70s

Where to get B 12 in the UK

Hi, seagull there is some info about B 12 in the UK :

healthunlocked dot com/pasoc/posts/130854584/where-can-you-buy-b12-for-intramuscular-injections-in-the-uk

Sublingual B-12 can be purchased at any vitamin shop, pharmacy, wal-mart, super markets. The tablet goes under the tongue and dissolves, tastes like cherry.

Not in uk..I did once try dermal stuff I got from net I just ended up dyed red..Lots stuff no get over counter here like melatonin that another example

I gather there nasal spray same strength as injection god knows where you get that.it only filping vitamin they tell us eat B12 in diet and can buy all other vitamins so what the problem.B12 tabs are not very good

I have never tried the nasal spray. I have pernicious anemia so I must take B-12 but the pills you have to swallow do not work for me.
If I take a 500mcg sublingual, every other day, and hold it under my tongue until it dissolves, my blood levels stay normal to slightly above normal.

Sorry to the OP for side tracking the thread.

Pills would not work for me.when I was tested for B12 it consist of injections every day for a week I felt so good on those injection but as said the London hospitals decided to change boundary what normal or not.i can see medical reason for it and dr go many years before he see results of not giving it could well be to late then..
Mercy it not expensive any need only give once a months honestly it not going kill you only make people better.I think I can get internet doc see if he prescribe it

I don't have epilepsy, my son has. But I do have Thyroid problems.

Last year after consulting my doctor I ended up in the ER and hospital with too fast heart beats, 18 kilograms extra weight and thick ankles caused by fluid retention, hair loss, short breath and my thyroid hormone level appeared to be over 100 (under 20 is normal), diagnosis: Graves disease (my sister has had the same, so it seems to run in my family), I had overproduction of Thyroid hormone and an enlarged thyroid.

I got Strumazol (Thyroid blocker), heart pills, a heavy anti coagulant and two diuretics (peeing pills) and after a few weeks I started with thyroid hormone pills too to prevent too low hormone levels.

After two months on medication I decided to let them treat my thyroid with nuclear iodium. Six months later the treatment appeared to be insufficient and I had a second nuclear iodium treatment last august.

For now I am still using both Thyroid hormones and Thyriod blocker as well as (half the initial dosage) heart pills and the anti coagulant, I quit the diuretics.

End of January 2017 I will stop both Thyroid hormones and Strumazol to see whether the second nuclear treatment has stopped my thyroid from working definitely and I will have an ECG to check my heart beat and hopefully stop the heart pills. Most likely I will be taking Thyroid hormones for the rest of my life.

How old are you DM.i had partial thyroidectomy in my 20s under no way would allow nuclear treatment said up to forty was to young.
The swollen legs called tibial myxodeamer common in over active.I had tackcardia it was horrible I could feel it hear it in my ears pulse so fast...I was so active could see myself coming down road.It left my eyes popping out for years until I went under active now hardly drag myself from A to B I need another blood test see gone under anymore but I sure B12 help if get my hands on full dose.

Back
Top Bottom