traveling out of country

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
my partner has a seizure disorder and this has caused vacation travel to be stressful. it seems we can not go across more than a 1 hour time zone without him having a seizure several days into the trip. Is there something we can do to prepare and hopefully prevent these seizures. One time he had one on the plane on the way home for a trip and it was quite scary for all involved.

thanks for your help.

Welcome, Brainstorm:

Nice to meet you. Which part of the world will you & your partner be travelling to (i.e., Asia, Europe...)? I returned recently from a trip to South Korea without any problems at all.

You might want

to talk to your partner's doctor, about possibly increasing dosages for the (plane) trip there and back to prevent a seizure, but also consider changing your partner's sleep cycle some time ahead of the trip to try to avoid this.

So many times seizures are triggered by stressful events (trips), lack of sleep or changes in sleep patterns. Some seizures are also completely nocturnal, which I don't know if your partner's are, but if they are changing the bedtime routine ahead of time might be really helpful.

Stress and lack of sleep are the two most common triggers for seizures. So I agree with Meetz, your partner might want to try changing his sleep schedule prior to the trip. Especially since that can cause a change in medication time as well. Also, ask the doc if he can take an extra dose on those days when you're actually trying to catch flights. That tends to be stressful for anyone. But add that stress to not getting enough sleep, and that's a problem just waiting to happen. And yes, I know it's tempting to stay up late and see the sights...but getting enough sleep is more important.

I am curious. Does your partner have the same problems traveling north and south? I was just wondering if it was the time changes or simply the travel itself.

we'd LOVE to go to africa but from California it is quite a long trip and several time zones.

so it sounds like you all wouldn't let a seizure disorder stop you from traveling? I think we will speak to his neurologist.

north south east west....i think it is the combo of stress, time changes that effect medication and time changes that effect sleep.

Brainstorm,

What type of seizures does your partner have? T/C?

I have C/P and T/C seizures and have traveled across the US and to Canada several times, and to Europe. I've had to make sure I took an extra day once I was at my destination so that I could get my rest. Also, let the airlines know of any medical conditions when you make reservations so they won't panic in case anything happens while en-route.

Here is some info from the epilepsy website about traveling by plane for those with epilepsy:

By Airplane

While most people with seizures can travel safely by airplanes, guidelines of the Aerospace Medical Association do recommend that people with uncontrolled seizures not travel by commercial airliner. An airline may ask for a letter from your doctor that you are okay to fly. While people are not routinely prevented from flying, concerns may arise due to the lack of medical help available during a flight and safety of other passengers if a person is confused or experiencing behavior changes during or after a seizure in a confined space. The Aerospace Medical Association recommends that people who are still having seizures travel with a companion.

When considering air travel, talk to your doctor first and consider the impact of changing time zones, sleep deprivation, and long delays or travel times on your seizures and whether air travel is recommended.

Travel with a companion – this is especially important for people with frequent seizures or seizures with a change in your awareness or behavior, or for those who are traveling long distances.

Bring a letter from your doctor describing your ability to travel by airplane and carry a completed Seizure Plan outlining what to do should a seizure occur.

Talk to the airline in advance – ask for special seating arrangements so you are closer to the front where you can get help if needed. If possible, ask for an empty seat next to you so you can lie down if a seizure occurs.

Carry a supply of medicines with you (in properly labeled bottles) so it is available if you need it during the flight.

If you (or your child) have clusters of seizures and use ‘as needed’ medicine, talk to the doctor in advance about how to manage these..
For general information on medical issues and flying, take a look at Medical Guidelines for Airline Passengers at the following link.

http:/www.asma.org/publications/ and useful tips for travelers.

http:/www.asma.org/pdf/publications/tips_for_travelers.pdf

Last edited:
Never let seizures stop you from seeing the world. :) I have grand mals (tonic clonics), and I've traveled to S. Korea, France, Switzerland, the Caribbean, Austria, and Lichtenstein. I'd travel more if I could afford it. :) It's just a matter of planning ahead. :)

I have noticed over the years that when I travel long haul my absences increase considerably. This is because of the timezone hopping which makes it difficult to time my meds correctly so I normally end up missing a dose and I am also generally awake for 50+ hours which is obviously not good as lack of sleep is my main trigger. With some forward planning I could probably avoid both reasons but because they are only absences I don't bother.

But the same triggers will be there for people having more severe seizures, maybe it would help to make the flight across a couple of days, so that you are only travelling during daytime hours and also it would cut down how many timezones you cross in one go. Also as Meetz and Skilly suggested - if you are able too, changing sleep/med routines would be a big help.

Back
Top Bottom