UK employment law

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I work for a British company in the Czech Republic.

Recently I was seriously ill following a tonic clonic seizure and hospitalised, I had gone into status epilepticus for about an hour after falling down the stairs during a seizure.

I needed two months off work.

Have been told by my employer that I will be facing disciplinary action because I did not present my doctor's note to them on my first day of illness. This would have been difficult as I was in a coma.

They received the aforementioned doctor's note 2 days later from my friend.

Any ideas as to where I stand legally?

Any and all help appreciated.

That's ridiculous. I'm not an employment lawyer but if that ever went to a tribunal your employer would not be able to rely on a sick note delayed by two days due to you being in a coma! Was your employer aware at all what happened before they received your sick note? Is your contract of employment governed by English law?

My employer was fully aware of the reason for my absence, and also for the reason that the sick note was delayed.

Have just been informed that I am covered by Czech law, a cursory glance of which reveals a sicknote should be provided after 5 days of absence if the employee is able to.

It looks like my employer is talking utter rubbish.

He has been less than understanding about my condition,and I feel that his posturing about the sicknote could be construed as harassment.

Well unfortunately I have no idea about Czech law but for now keep a record of all correspondence and conversations with times and dates with your employer to help a solicitor if it ever gets that far! Good luck and keep us updated.

Try checking these sites out to see what your options are! Good luck with everything.

lexmundi.com/images/lexmundi/PracticeGroups/Labor/Surveys/DeskBook/Czech%20Republic.pdf

avrio.net/529.0.html

ilo.org/public/english/dialogue/ifpdial/info/termination/countries/czech.htm

Back
Top Bottom