Understanding EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My3keyz

New
Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm new here, and I'll start with some background info. I previously had a cerebral AVM rupture that resulted in a craniotomy to repair. Last year, a regrowth, residual, or new development was detected deep within the brain and radiostatic surgery was the best option (so far, no change in size).

Fast forward to current situation, I have had several EEG, with two different neurologist, and I can not seem to understand the medical terminology used by either. Basically, they just read or repeat the same info that is stated on the record that I am able to view, but because of my my medical history, I have a slight processing disorder, and I am just not getting it.

This is the info I have:
EEG CLASSIFICATION: Dysrhythmia, grade 3, left-sided sharp waves
During wakefulness, the background activity is composed of 11 Hz frequency recorded in the posterior head region that had relatively good reactivity to eye opening.

The main feature of this recording is intermediate sharp waves with phase reversal at C3 electrode. There is no electrographic seizure identified. Hyperventilation and photic stimulation causes no further abnormalities.

There is also intermediate slowing activity identified in left hemisphere.

CLINICAL INTERPRETATION: This is an abnormal EEG due to intermediate epileptic discharge emanating from the left hemisphere with phase reversal at C3 electrode, which is consistent with cortical irritability and a lower seizure threshold.

The neurologist tells me what this means is that I will continue on 100 mg of topamax 2x daily to prevent seizures....But this really doesn't explain to me what is going on, if anything. Can anyone simplify this for me?

Last edited:
I think if you were to translate that to English it would loose meaning, which is why they cannot simplify it any further. ;-)

But this really doesn't explain to me what is going on, if anything. Can anyone simplify this for me?
First off, it's your neuro's job to explain things properly. If possible, never leave the doctor's office if they haven't explained things to your satisfaction.

Aside from that, here are some very general takeaways from the results above:

Dysrhythmia, grade 3, left-sided sharp waves.
Sharp waves are considered to be a marker for someone with epilepsy or with a lowered seizure threshold. They can be part of an "interictal" pattern -- meaning that they can appear when you are not actually having a seizure. They can also indicate a seizure focus (i.e., the specific location in the brain the epileptic activity is originating). Dysrhythmias are ranked from 1 to 4. Any of the grades can be linked to a seizure disorder. (They can also be caused by things like anxiety and other psychological states, but your AVM rupture points to a structural cause).

During wakefulness, the background activity is composed of 11 Hz frequency recorded in the posterior head region that had relatively good reactivity to eye opening.
This is a normal brainwave frequency and response for when you are relaxed but awake. When you open your eyes it will shows up a certain way on an EEG, so your EEG was normal in this regard.

intermediate slowing activity in left hemisphere
Slow focal waves (that is, waves in a particular location) are an indication of some brain dysfunction. There can be many causes, though probably the primary cause is the AVM or the surgery.

The EEG results suggest that your brain is "irritated" and you have a lower seizure threshold as a result. Your brain is more vulnerable to having seizures than a healthy person. So the Topomax is meant to prevent any seizures from happening.

Just to reiterate though -- always ask your neuro for clarification. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom