unexplained drop in dilantin level

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the forum. I have been on dilantin since 1991.
On 500 mg a day my levels and control have been very good.
Recently I had an aura and gran mal and went to the er where my dilantin level was low. I usually run 16-20 trough, and need this for good control. the er value was
10.5(4 hours after my am dose). I am compliant, the doctors cant find any reason within me for the drop. So I am suspecting the lot of
parke davis dilantin that took at the time. Upon changing
lots my level is now again 16 to 22 tested weekly.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I returned the pills to pfizer and contacted the fda.
Thanks

Welcome loveslight57

I have never had that problem but I do know that generic Dilantin can cause problems. Have you checked with the FDA ? I get alerts from them and have not seen anything so this may just be a new or isolated thing.

Hi loveslight57, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Stacy's blood level of Dilantin fluctuates even though she takes it regularly. Dilantin has to be metabolized in the liver and there are many factors which can affect the metabolation rate.

thats really not the case with me. I have maintained very stable levels for over 15 years.
When the lot number of dilantin PD was changed my levels were back to normal quickly and remained there.

Hi
I am new to the forum. I have been on dilantin since 1991.
On 500 mg a day my levels and control have been very good.
Recently I had an aura and gran mal and went to the er where my dilantin level was low. I usually run 16-20 trough, and need this for good control. the er value was
10.5(4 hours after my am dose). I am compliant, the doctors cant find any reason within me for the drop. So I am suspecting the lot of
parke davis dilantin that took at the time. Upon changing
lots my level is now again 16 to 22 tested weekly.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I returned the pills to pfizer and contacted the fda.
Thanks

Which pills were you taking?the white with red stripe or the purple & white ones?I've been on Dilantin since 1993 & have always taken the white & red ones myself without any problems that I've noticed & my levels always come back within the theraputic range.

I took the purple & white ones a couple times when I got my prescription filled at Wal-mart & just don't like that version compared to the white & reds so now they make sure not to give them to me anymore.

Hi
They are the PD dilantin orange and white, I am aware of the problems with the generics,
But wasnt' aware of all of the manufacturing problems, recalls, fda violaations with dilantin in the 1990's and early 2000's.
I need to stay in the upper therapeutic range, so if there is a small problem with the pills,
it can cause a big problem for me. If someone has a wider therapeutic range, than they problably wouldn't be affect.

I was just looking at different threads and noticed this one. My Dilantin levels have occasionally been out of control (low of zero and a high of 38), I learned that if they change you from the brand name Dilantin to the generic Phenytoin at the drug store, don’t think the doctor changed the prescription, question the pharmacist or watch your level carefully. I was getting the sensations of being toxic after the switch which I assumed my doctor ordered so I went to the ER for a level and it was “zero”. They then injected me with Cerebyx and didn’t let me leave until the level started to register. From my experience, the generic Dilantin is no good.

Hi!

I was on dilantin for a short period of time (Id say about 3 months...It worked....not super well though...)
I was on the generic brand...I dont know what kind...I know there pills are really pretty lol..capsules are light purple and white...and my levels did drop suddenly and unexpeddley...we could never figure out why either...And that was really dangerous for me because it would cause me to go status a couple of times...and I was going to ghave to go to the ER to stop the seizures...but yeah...I dont know about Brand name Dilantin though...

(I'm sorry If Im not making sense...I accidently took too much Tegretol...long story lol but Im a little on the high side:paperbag:)

Did it again, it was a 3 8 ) , without the spaces.

Hi Kam.. you just found out one of the fun quirks of computer coding. I certainly don't have the language memorized, but I think had you put a space between the 8 and the parenthesis you would have been fine.

I was just looking at different threads and noticed this one. My Dilantin levels have occasionally been out of control (low of zero and a high of 38), I learned that if they change you from the brand name Dilantin to the generic Phenytoin at the drug store, don’t think the doctor changed the prescription, question the pharmacist or watch your level carefully. I was getting the sensations of being toxic after the switch which I assumed my doctor ordered so I went to the ER for a level and it was “zero”. They then injected me with Cerebyx and didn’t let me leave until the level started to register. From my experience, the generic Dilantin is no good.
the dilantin that I am taking is definitely Parke Davis not generic.
White capsule orange band. The generics usually are white with a lavender band.
If anyone knows of a generic that looks just like the parke davis med please let me know.
thanks

Gosh... I am feeling out of the fashion color trend, as Rebecca's trileptal is an ugly putty brown. Only good thing about them, is the designer groove in the middle. Easier to break in half.

the dilantin that I am taking is definitely Parke Davis not generic.
White capsule orange band. The generics usually are white with a lavender band.
If anyone knows of a generic that looks just like the parke davis med please let me know.
thanks

I think that is the generic ones Im talking about that gave me a hard time I think the generic name starts with an M or something Im not sure:ponder:...

My meds now are boring colors. Topamax is boring yellow...which is my favorite color...but now it ruined it for me. Klonopin is just silly..but Tegretol is a pretty color pink though...:pfft:

dilantin levels

Hi you were probably taking mylan, generic dilantin.
Mylan does not absorb as well as the name brand when taken with food.

Hi you were probably taking mylan, generic dilantin.
Mylan does not absorb as well as the name brand when taken with food.

exactly what it was! thanks! That has actually been on my mind since I saw this thread and couldnt think of the name ;)

Thank you!

My Dilantin / Phenytoin has
fluctuated up and down for
many reasons:

1) Because of other AED's

2)
Because of the menses cycle

3) Because of time factor (remember
to take your AED on a time schedule
every day, to keep them in balance)

4) Illness or Viruses (ie: cold, flu, food
poisoning)

5)
Antibiotics

6) OTC (Over the counter) Med(s) that
you took without consulting with your
Doctor first (OOPS!)

==============================

I had been on Dilantin / Phenytoin from
400 - 600 mg Daily; and it was the
anticonvulsant or AED that I took the
longest and was the first one that I began
and it actually worked (controlled my
seizures about 80% of the time - my guess).

But I also had to take frequent blood work
tests as well.

Unfortunately I've also been on and off
during the 80s' ERA, and then was on it
throughout the 90s' ERA; and divorce
came along where it screwed everything
up and I had no AED for nearly 6 years
and was seizing. Until I finally had to get
my Cardiologist to write me a script since
my appointment with the Epi was few weeks
down. He knew I had been on Dilantin for
I had told him. I was really seizing at that
time.

I could swoop Dilantin without any titration
at all and my body accepted it gracefully.
I could stop it suddenly just as I could start
it suddenly, it was like a part of "me".

It was the Oral Surgeon who wanted me OFF
of it, for it wrecked a havoc with me teeth,
that was the only destructive part of Dilantin
it did to me. Other than that; it had been so
good to me, I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Dilantin Has A New Color & Name!

Dilantin has a NEW COLOR & NAME!

It is no longer Dilantin Kapseals any
more.

Gone is the white with orange middle
band. And the Kapseals is gone too.

DILANTIN - OLD & NEW

dilatin_100.gif
100-mg (clear) Kapseal -- Original to be discontinued
Capsules with an orange band

dilatin_100_new.gif

100-mg New look -- to replace Kapseal
Capsules half orange and half white

Medication alert – Why the new Dilantin® 100 mg. Capsules?

I typed in 38), to give the Dilantin level and it returned it with a face. Is that the conversion text for the face?

Every smilie has a code that corresponds to the image. Typing the code in your post will cause the forum to display the smilie.

When you are composing a post (using the full editor and not the quick-reply editor), you can check an option box (additional options) to disable smilies. Then you don't need to worry about eight-close parenthesis becoming 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom