Vimpat question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this site :). I would like to know if anyone has experienced bad headaches and vivid nightmares while taking vimpat? And does it go away eventually? Thanks

Hi and welcome to CWE.

I have not had either side effects. Were you having dreams before you started taking Vimpat?

Welcome to CWE.
I had headaches before and do not have nightmares. Everyone is different and it really takes time to see if the effects go away. Myself I suffer dizziness and after a few years it is still going on but I do take med (Keppra) that adds to the effect.
I will take my side effect over what happens without it.

Just checked your meds, knothing. We are on practically the same concoction and I say the same thing. I'll take the side effects over the other option.

Coachkathymarkovich

Yes I had the headaches and the nightmares. Take a look at " My journey with Vimpat" or "Vimpat - progress, good stuff!" there are others.

no headaches, and vivid nightmares yes but i could chalk that up to major stress at the time as well, between personal life b.s. and the unexplainable fear of facing brain surg. or a mix of that and the vimpat :ponder:
however, i hate this drug. my issue was a feeling that centered between vertigo and dizziness, and my explanation was 'i feel f---ed in the head.'
even on a low dose i started walking towards walls, even right into one once in our bedroom. concentration and rational thought was 0. bleh.

Wife has had two or three vivid hallucinations. So real to her she remains impacted even though she know they weren't real.

Dizzy and double vision ere reduced b spreading the mds out and a bit after eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been taking 200 milligrams of Vimpat a day after several different meds and now I’m having vivid dreams and nightmares. Anyone else know how long this last? Should my dose goes up or down?

JSinger

My opinion only is from my own experience only, I would not increase the meds yet it took awhile but my nightmares stopped first after a few weeks but the headache lasted longer, not too sure how long they took but they did go. The thing is everyone reacts differently it might not take you as long to get over them. I know that does not sound like much help and you have heard it before but it actually does make a difference so really you need to talk this out with your doctor and then you have got to go with what you think in the end.

Hi JSinger,

I've been on vimpat for yrs. and I never had headaches or bad dreams you may want to mention this to your Dr. What happened with me
was a rapid heartbeat but it stopped after a couple of weeks.
According to my neurosurgeon when a person has a dream it's something in their sub conscious but they don't even realize they are
thinking about it. The dream could be in relation to something a person saw on tv or something that happened earlier that day. The next
time you have a dream think about what happened the day before or that evening and see if it relates at all. I wish you only the best
of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hello. I was on 400mg Vimpat/day along with 400mg Topiramate/day, but didn't have either of those side effects. I had to drop Vimpat due to a change in our insurance. I switched to 400mg Zonisamide.

Back
Top Bottom