way out of my comfort zone

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there. Here is my story.... @ three years ago at the age of 42 i had a mild stroke due to medication problems related to an unrelated medical problem. I have had no residual effects from the stroke, with the exception of confusing dates on paperwork. But im not sure if thats entirely stroke or age.... i apparently suffered a complex partial seizure a week ago. I was asleep and my husband was awake. I dont remember anything. My potassium was very low and that has been fixed. Im set up for a sleep deprived eeg monday. Ive had what i believe are scintillating scotomas for several years, but no migraines with them. They have been occurred more frequently in recent months. I had them pre stroke as well. I have no idea what to expect from here.... more seizures.... no driving... is an eeg accurate in diagnoses? The neuro things tiredness and low potassium 2.8 may have provoked the seizure.

Welcome, you're definitely not the only person here who wants to know or is out of their comfort zone.

An EEG is not a diagnosis but a tool to help diagnose by trying to record neural misfiring. Definitely a good thing to do but it is very possible for the EEG to show no abnormalities & still have neurological seizures. My seizures started so deep in the brain (hypothalamus) that they didn't show on an EEG.

Go for the EEG but realise that you've just had 1 seizure and you even gave reasons as to what might have provoked it. It is very possible it is a one-time thing due to your low potassium levels but further testing is the best thing to do to see if there is a reason to expect more seizures or of it is a one time event.

Thank you for your response. I certainly hope it's an isolated instance and I won't need medication and driving restrictions. But I'd also like to know for sure and deal with the problem rather than wait for another seizure! I wonder if others have had low potassium provoked seizures that have not turned into anything? Or... that have turned into something?

You may find someone who is in your situation, or you may not. Unfortunately, even if you do there is really no way of predicting which way things will go for you! That's the nature of seizures and epilepsy - everyone is different and it is very difficult to give a prognosis, particularly early on. So sadly there is no "knowing for sure"!

You are doing all the right things, and hopefully the EEG will give you some answers. I hope that you never suffer another seizure and are able to go forward without issues!

Back
Top Bottom