What's the worst side effect you've ever had via meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Here's a thread/poll about everybody's favorite side effects. My personal favorite was probably Keppra, because everything within reach into a projectile (I was a nasty, throwing, snarling levetiracetamonster), and if that wasn't enough hurling to make things really fun, I would projectile vomit my morning dose about 75% of the time just to make sure that if my personality weren't repulsive enough on that drug, some violent chunk-blowing should send even the most benevolent of souls high-tailing in the opposite direction.

But Keppra works really well for a lot of people (most don't get ill) and there's evidence that B vitamin supplements can help reduce problems with 'kepprage'.

Good luck with the med changes. Hope you find The One.

Worst side effect..... Topamax made me very deeply deeply deeply depressed. It drove me within an inch of doing something we aren't allowed to talk about on here. Horrible. I called my doc & he yanked me off cold turkey. (That was fun - Not.)

I should have kept an eye on myself and never let it get that bad.

That said, I actually enjoyed the weight loss from Topamax. Everything tasted like aluminum and food repulsed me. The ultimate weight loss plan...lol...

Lamictal caused me to lose my balance and fall over a lot as well as actually increasing my seizures and making my hair fall out, and Vimpat seems to be making me lose my balance a lot too, with some extra unsavory side effects. Lovely.

Keppra however doesn't seem to have many side effects for me and is pretty good for controlling tonic clonic seizures. I still have the odd break through, but only when I'm asleep.

Last edited:
keppra

keppra worked best for me. but side effect was rage that I had to deal with. I want to go back on that drug because other meds work less or not at all for me. Also my doc I think is in conspiracy with my mother and do not wasnt ot change the meds. Hesays it did not work but my mom says it works the best but when I ask she agrees with him.

Epilim (valrpoic acid) was the worst for me I think (as far as side effects were concerned) because i kept throwing up a lot! And getting very depressed sometimes too. But it worked wonderfully for seizures for a few years so I stuck to it.

And as I have only just began my experience with Keppra, I am not really sure what to think yet. I seem to have like 1/3 of all side effects listed but I've always been quite sensitive to medications so I guess it could have been much worse :p. It doesn't make me feel sick, though! But the rage is freaking me (and others..) out. When I told one of my friends how I reacted to one of our other friend's comments (which was actually meant to be a joke...), he just couldn't help it but laugh because he couldn't imagine me, a 50kg girl, punching and kicking an almost 110kg guy... I can hardly believe I am capable of that ;) And how embarrassed I felt when the 'temper tantrum' was over... I really hope those B vitamins are going help me! :D

Short term side effects - Keppra for the emotional upheavel that I was eventually able to control (most of the time).

Long term - Dilantin as I have been told is really hard on my liver. I do keep it tested and no issues yet.

I want to change my vote. Diamox - metabolic acidosis and tachycardia. (not to mention almost constant hurling, chest pain, trouble breathing, etc.)

topamax made me exausted and brain fogged, i couldn't even subtract 20 from 50 in math. my grade dropped to a 98 to a 69. but i lost weight. keppra, well, i through a chair at my brother because he was standing there. b6 didn't help either. keppra also made me severely severely depressed to the point where i also had some thougts of what we can't talk about on here. im now on lamictal and it has made me clutzy but im awake for the first time in months and its too early to know about seizure control yet.

Phenobarbital worked great to control my seizures but it was very addictive. I had anxiety all the time and I had insomnia along with it.

Back
Top Bottom