When is it time to Switch meds or increase dose

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

behlen

New
Reaction score
Ok so I have been switched from Keppra to Lamictal for about 3 months now. I feel better on the lamictal and seizures are def less frequent but still are having them about once a week on average. I have increased lamictal twice now to 400 mg. So should the meds stop the seizures from ever happening or is going from 5 or so a week to once is as good as can be expected. I hate to keep calling doctor, because then I feel my 6 months of seizure free starts all over and as a Firefighter I have got to get better soon (or I am afraid) my job could eventually be in jeopardy.

Hi Behlen...for everyone it is different. Some people get rapid control with their meds and same people the control is slow and occurs over time...some people never get complete control and learn to live with what they have if it is better than it was in the beginning. For me personally everything was baby steps. I went from several times a week to once a week to a couple of times a month. I stayed at a couple of times a month for several years and was pretty much resigned to that but was happy enough because it was better than having them every week. Changes in meds finally got them stretched out to where the longest I have gone without a seizure is 18 mos. Again, that is my personal experience. You will find that others have had different experiences.

Thank you, have you had to adjust to never being able to drive or are the laws about driving with seizures diff where you are from.

Yes, I wasn't allowed to drive in Indiana for 7 yrs. and I am currently not allowed to drive in Ohio for the next 3 mos.

Behelen,

My experience with epilepsy is very similar to Zoofemme. Initially, I was having 3-4 seizures a day and after surgery, many meds and the VNS along with Keppra and Topamax, I am down to maybe 1-3 every 6-8 months. And as now, I am not driving either because last month I had three seizures in one weekend, the first time in long time that has happened. I have gone 12 years without driving when I lived in TN. Here in CO., it's up to the individual. I won't be driving for a while.

Maybe you could add another low dose medication to help get better control of your seizures?

I know that I'm on Lamictal 400 MG with very good results. But, I'm pretty sure, there's room for a larger dose. Perhaps you should check with your doc. Trying to research it is impossible, because no publication wants to take the responsibility for making a dosage recommendation.

Hi Behlen - for my daughter, medication made her seizures occur more often. Perhaps it is because we later found out that there are blood sugar issues that were triggering her seizures. We now have been able to eliminate medication all together and she has not had a seizure in 5 months. She use to have them 6x per month (on medication).

I have approached her care with alternative therapies such as neurofeedback, nutrition, and supplementing with vitamins and minerals for brain and body health.

Rebecca is still unable to consider a drivers license, however we continue to hold out hope for that. Or she will just need to make plans for her future to manage without.

It sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Perhaps with adding some alternatives, you might be able to raise your seizure threshold. The medication only acts as a bandaid to subdue the symptoms. Most likely the bandaid will need to be replaced at some point.

Since being diagnosed in Mar 2010, the doctor has been increasing my meds from 1000mg a day to 3000mgs a day of Keppra. I have been having simple partials every week, but lately I think I've only had one in the last week. As far as driving, I am still able unless the seizures start getting worse. The doc has given me a release for now.

Back
Top Bottom